PADI * LEDS (Lionfish Eradication Divers Specialty) Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not know this. In fact I didn't know most of what's been posted now. I would have never thought to eat a lionfish either. Going to have to try that out now!!!
They are supposedly very tasty. I havent had one so I cant say from first hand experience, but I did have the greater weaver (Trachinus draco) who stung me and although they say revenge is a dish best served cold, it was damn tasty hot as well :p
I cant say based on the fact that the weaver sting and the lionfish sting has similarities that the taste do though. I need to taste the lionfish I guess...

My Keys based buddies have been doing Lionfish roundups for years. They taste great but are a bit difficult to clean from what I have heard. Let's face it, eating fish is hardly new. We just need to get people to enjoy/desire Lionfish. Unfortunately they are every where in Coz, the Keys, the Caribbean, etc. so we better find a way to handle them. Goliath Grouper are their natural predators.... but they are somewhat endangered as well. As of now the Lionfish is winning! They are all over. Someone in Coz was saying there are spots where you see 100 Lionfish in a 100 foot space, just thick. The DM's can legally hunt them. Maybe we can make them a Chinese delicacy! Tell folks they cure warts!

This is so far from being correct, but a diving forum is not the place to discuss this.

Just curious if you would kill a cockroach or rat in your house (and if so, would you eat them? :wink: )

Is it just because Lionfish look cool that you are opposed to killing them?
If you wish to have fish on a reef to see in the future, then Lionfish should be eradicated.

In the very long term, if left unchecked, the lionfish would over-predate their surroundings, then die themselves from starvation. Life would hopefully then return. However, the introduction of lionfish was artificially caused by man, and should therefore be controlled by man.

Just curious if you would kill a cockroach or rat in your house (and if so, would you eat them? :wink: )

Is it just because Lionfish look cool that you are opposed to killing them?
If you wish to have fish on a reef to see in the future, then Lionfish should be eradicated.

In the very long term, if left unchecked, the lionfish would over-predate their surroundings, then die themselves from starvation. Life would hopefully then return. However, the introduction of lionfish was artificially caused by man, and should therefore be controlled by man.
In the areas where they are invasive and have no enemies..
There is a few species that actually eat lionfish, but not in areas where they are invasive.

Tell folks they cure warts!

Convince people they're an aphrodisiac! The venom makes you virile! Love like a Lion(fish)!

Or convince people rubbing the venom on your skin has anti-aging properties & reduces wrinkles.

I can picture people diving with a knife and fork.

Richard.

Someone in Coz was saying there are spots where you see 100 Lionfish in a 100 foot space, just thick.

Any idea where these spots are?

On a recent trip to Belize, our dive charter, Hopkins Divers (formerly Hamanasi Divers) offered Lionfishing as an option on every barrier reef dive. It was such a hoot, I intend to inquire about it with every dive operation I use in the future. Even my newly certified kids joined me, and safely bagged more than a dozen on their own. We were provided with short sling-spears, and would hand the impaled fish off to our DM, who would clip the spines before bagging the fish.

IMG_0063.jpg

The fish were cleaned while on shore:

IMG_0049.jpg

And converted to delicious fare by local Belize chefs:

DSC_0304.jpg

Often accompanied by my favorite soft drink:

DSC_0747.jpg

I have nothing to add to the debate; I would simply encourage all who approve of Lionfish hunting to learn to do it safely, and patronize the dive operations who make hunting a part of their charter offerings.

Back
Top Bottom