Aqualung Dimension i3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Huh. I'm surprised that you can't get a standard octo into the holder. Mine is standard and fits fine even without routing through the back hole. Although I will admit I don't route it like they show in the pictures. I double over the hose and stick it in back to front, so the reg is coming out the back, and the doubled over hose is in the front. Going around the other way to me seems more likely to have the hose foul in an emergency situation under the weight pocket area. As for the coming free thing... I have a flashlight on my right chest D-ring, and sometimes I wedge it in the u-shaped hole of the doubled over octo hose. That depends on my buddy. My son, who is my normal buddy and I all train and practice taking someone's main in a OOA situation. So in that case I don't mind having the flashlight "lock" going on in the octo, as I can free it in a second or two. Any other buddies and I don't do it, although I've never had it come free either, I just do it as it's an easier dangle fix for my flashlight than the bungee that I have down there.

Let me know if you hear anything from Aqualung on that swivel piece. It never occurred to me to put one of those in my save-a-dive, but that's a good idea!

Jeff
Jeff, Perhaps the octo slipping out has something to do with the MyFlex hose, which is narrower, and slicker than a conventional LP hose, so there's little friction holding it when it's folded over on itself. However, I'll try routing it through the back of the octo holder, and see if the additional length of the fold has an effect. Either way, not a big deal, as I'm used to just clipping it off on a $.99 rubber octo holder.

Hallmac, good to know about the swivel being universal. I've never seen (or experienced personally) a delrin buckle or clasp break, even after years of constant buckling and unbuckling. However, when you do look at the disconnected swivel, it does appear tenuously delicate... but then, so does a length of monofilament... :wink:

I haven't dived in the Dimension i3, but there is quite a lot of buzz among the European dive crowd I hang out with about it. What they like most of all is the inflator doesn't use pneumatic control. Some other BCDs in the same class, like the Mares Dragon AT, use pneumatics to achieve the same no-hose inflator control. The stories circulating around make it sound very much like the bugs aren't quite out of the pneumatic inflator systems yet, and they are prone to leaking. It's all just rumors, mind you (I haven't met anyone who actually has had a pneumatic inflator blow a gasket on them yet), but nobody says the same thing about the rods and pins that Aqua Lung's i3 system uses.

Check the for sale section. My nearly brand new Dimension i3 is up for sale there.

I am very intrigued by the new Dimension i3 BC. For those with i3 BCDs I was wondering if the push rods in the system are ever a problem with packing and carrying in gear bags? I think I would really like the i3 system but I don't want a rigid BC that is hard to pack into a gear bag. Any thoughts?

Packing the BCD in a dive bag is not a problem, given that the only "rigid" parts of the BCD are the the i3 console on the lower left side and the octopus holder/pocket on the opposite side of the BCD. I would definitely recommend the BCD for recreational use, as it is extremely lightweight, durable, and easy to use.

Hi all,

I am very new to scuba, about to finish certification class, and I am looking at buying all my own equipment. I find the i3 very interesting, very streamlined, not BORGish. I have one question though. I really like the idea of the DiveAlert plus for safety, but how are you supposed to be able to hook it up on the Dimension-i3 BC ? It look alike if you put it near the control lever, it might be in the way of using the lever, and it would always be under water when you are at the surface trying to flag down the boat. Thanks to all the experienced people here for all your posts. I am learning a lot !

Your DiveAlert may or may not fit on the side by the lever because of the size. If you can get it on you would definitely have to lay on your side in order to use the whistle function of the DiveAlert on the surface and have the boat hear it. The other alternative is the small inflator hose on the Dimension can be removed and replaced with the standard inflator/LPI combo. Some friends and I have to do it with ours when we're teaching. If you wanna keep it the way it is just get a Storm whistle and attach it to your BC. That combined with your SMB should be enough to get the boats attention.

I keep my Aqualung Dimension i3 for cold water.

I use a Zeagle Stiletto now in warm water, much more convenient. I would sometimes hit the i3 on coral / rocks. Usually because of current due to strong swells in shallow water.

The flaw I see, and it happened to me, in water is that you hit a rock just right, it adds air to your BC.

On the boat, it's easy to get snagged on something when mounted on the tank with all the other vests in proximity.

Plus, it's freaking heavy, I've shaved at least 5 lbs with the Stiletto.

However, I love it in cold water.

Last edited:
I dove around the pool with one at the dive shop and I bought it on the spot. This is the BC I dove with all last year and I won't be switching anytime soon. Its the most comfortable BC I've used. I love the harness system BC it really distributes the weight of the tank. It is streamlined and the IQ system is tucked away. Its easy to use and actually very intuitive.
There is really not much to dislike. I am a huge fan and can't wait to get back in the water with it!

I bought this BCD and like it a lot. I like the inflator/deflator system and also like that when deflating it opens up all vents so you don't have to think about placement of the normal deflator hose.

Overall, this is the BCD that my LDS recommends so we see this a lot and everyone here seems to like it as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom