From Caribbean to Cape Town

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WendyCayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm moving from Cayman to Cape Town and just don't know what to expect in the way of diving there. Other than a drastic change in temperature, how deep are the usual dive sites, how's the visibility, any shore diving, wet suit v. dry suit, currents, what about the sharks?

I guess I have tons of questions, mostly about conditions. Also, if you know of some good dive shops. I've been recommended Scuba Africa.

Thanks kids.

Wendy
I just was there in dec and dove with Pices divers in Capetown,and they seemed like a nice group.the equipment and shop were good. We did some boat dives out of an inflatable boat with some very short run times to the sites. It's a little colder than I like though,to much wetsuit for me ,so I hope you like dri suit diving. I think you will like the Capetown area though,it's really beautiful.

Cheers
Michael

Hi

In summer time we dive False bay side mostly due to it being cleaner due to wind and temp anything from 15 - 21 deg C, mostly 16 C.
The boat dives on wrecks that side is 40 - 24m. Reefs most 30 - 18m.
5 mm Wetsuit should be fine, with gloves and hoody.
Couple of shore entry sites mostly in Simontown from 5 - 15m.

In winter time we dive Atlantic side moslty temp anything from 8 - 18 deg C, mostly 9 C
The boat dives on wrecks from 38 - 20m. Reefs from 35 - 15m
7 mm Wetsuit with thick gloves and hoody is fine. Drysuit recommended.
Couple of shore entry sites mostly past Camps bay from 5 - 18m.

You can have a look at Diving the Cape Peninsula and False Bay travel guide - Wikitravel lots of info on many if not all known diving sites around the peninsula.

Ask away for any more info.

Hi, I've just moved to CT from New York. So far only 4 dives here.

It depends on your point of reference. I've dived the great lakes and NY, so find Cape Town warm with easier current conditions. Visibility can vary from terrible to fantastic. Wrecks can be as deep as you like from 20m (60 ft) to 120m (350 ft). Reefs are generally shallower. Often the boat will do an early morning dive to a wreck, followed by a mid morning dive to a reef.

I enjoy wrecks so this is paradise to me. They seem to be in good condition and offer good penetration if you are so inclined, equipped and trained.

Boats can vary from a DM watching your every move under water to a water taxi that drops you to do your own thing. I am more of a water taxi kind of guy, but you can find what you need. I've seen plenty of seals but only one small shark. Apparently something bigger is around, but you don't really see them.

I dive dry because I have a dry suit. The boat I used was about half dry, half wet. if you have an imperial rig that is in PSI and feet, you will need to become comfortable with the conversions to metric.

PM me when you get here, my wife and I would be happy to do a Shallow dive with you when you're ready. I AM NEITHER AN INSTRUCTOR NOR A DM so if you prefer I can also provide you with some names. I dive with underwater explorers and like them a lot. Unfortunately their website got hacked and deleted so what they have now is rubbish while they rebuild it.

Not to hijack, but I will be in Capetown for a week arriving 23rd. Mostly a touristy trip but would love to get in a day or two of diving. Not interested in the cage diving - just reef/etc. Would love some recommendations one who to dive with and where, etc. Plan to just bring my computer watch so renting everything else.

Not to hijack, but I will be in Capetown for a week arriving 23rd. Mostly a touristy trip but would love to get in a day or two of diving. Not interested in the cage diving - just reef/etc. Would love some recommendations one who to dive with and where, etc. Plan to just bring my computer watch so renting everything else.

If you are talking 23 March, that is a little unlucky. Poor conditions are forecast for this weekend. Many boats are not launching on Sat 23rd, but may be out on 24th. I would suggest Pisces Divers as they can take you out durring the week as well. I have cancelled for this w/e but will try dive on Underwater Explorers boat on 31st if you are still around.

Drysuit recommended for winter, hey? I was going to hook up with the folks from Coral Wetsuits and have them make me a nice 8mm... I hope that will do. I'm not sure I'm ready for a dry suit... But maybe thats just the way we thing about them here hehe

Yeah, my capetown visit is 23-30 March. I guess I will just see what the weather does and play it by ear. Also hoped to try out kiteboarding, but again weather dependent. Hopefully the sun comes out more than predicted. We booked this 4mo ago and it all looked sunny back then :)

23 and 24 likely to be sunny, but windy... perfect for kite board :D

wind dies down quickly. I would guess you have a good shot at a dive on tues or wed. :cool3: Go with Pisces, they can rent what you need. PM me if the boat needs one more to go . . . work boring anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom