Maui tomorrow or Wed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Peter and I are on Maui, and it occurred to me that it would be fun to see if we could meet some of the SB folk (halemano, are you around?) We're here tomorrow and Wednesday, and could dive tomorrow but don't plan to on Wednesday so we can dry gear before flying. We'd be up for coffee or something on Wednesday, though.

Anybody around?

I was thinking the same thing that it would be cool to dive with you guys being you are from my home state. don't know if I can but will try.

Scuba HI, are you on Maui now?

Aloha,

I have a couple tanks in my trunk and I did promise reciprocal compass training! Have not been paying attention to swell forecast but Ulua was nice yesterday. Saw Shaka Doug as he was ending his dive day and I was heading out with kayak to look for z-block reef damage; couldn't find it.

There is teeth cleaning to be experienced and lionfish to be seen there at Ulua. Where are you staying?

We are planning on doing a night dive at Ulua tomorrow (or more properly, a dusk dive with a 6:30 splash). We are staying at a friend's place in Maui Meadows -- my Dad lives near the Safeway in Piilani (sp?) Village.

Just wanted to finish this by saying thank you to halemano, who met up with us for a rather exciting dive at Ulua Beach today. Thanks for the company, the guide out to the cleaning station, and biggest thanks of all for rescuing my mask on the exit!

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=17605

So a friend recently shot me a link to a Northwest Dive Club forum discussion; you know what they say about good deeds and punishment...

Scubie Doo at nwdiveclub.com:
Thanks LCF,

Staying in the Kihei area. I like the description of Mike's boat and I love obscure critters. I will call them and Ed Robinson. I my have to book with a couple of operators. I definitely want to do the Hammerhead dive, but surprised they would use 72's on a "advanced" dive with current and a possible 120' depth. I also like the critter expertise of Severns boat and want to dive Lanai. I like the advanced X dive that Robinson puts on Wednesdays. Good to have choices.

On the Mala Pier shore dive. Do you know of a guide or dive buddy? I have used independent dive guides, Dave Sanford on Oahu and Jackson Seay on the Big Island, and have had great experiences. Thanks for the info and I will PM you as the date draws near.

Jesse

LCF at nwdiveclub.com:
No, unfortunately, I don't know of anyone. There's a guy named Shaka Doug who guides shore dives in the Kihei area, and has a reputation as being a really fun person with whom to dive. We did the Mala Pier with a friend who lived in Lahaina, but he now lives on Oahu. One person I would avoid is the guy who goes by halemano on ScubaBoard. I have dived with him. I did not like him and did not think he did a good job of guiding.

:idk:

So, last year (a few months ago) I retired from ScubaBoard. My plan was to never come back. It seems to me that the conversations in the main forums are "controlled" in a way that attempts to re-write history, in order to sell technical training and technical gear, with a "fear and loathing" marketing scheme. The techspurt cabal really dislikes the fact that warm water diving isn't really that dangerous. While I enjoyed picking apart their less than precise typing, I became uncomfortable with the fact that my entertaining jousting was actually giving the "dark side" more press. For a fringe activity where the most popular thread when I quit was http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/401853-why-we-so-mean.html, bad press may be the best press, so I had to just walk away.

Less than a month after TSandM, Peter and I made this dive at Ulua, the only dive we ever made together, there was a flame out between Lynn and myself over how to dive Mala Wharf ( http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/321578-maui-shore-dive-2.html ). We have pretty much been of a different opinion ever since.

Considering the fact that I make part of my income from guiding divers, and considering the fact that the ToS for Northwest Dive Club includes the following, I think the Northwest Dive Club might have one less member soon.

ToS at nwdiveclub.com:
You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where Northwest Dive Club is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us.
underline added

Why would you drag stuff from some other forum into this one? Over two years later....nice necro-post.:wink:

Like there isn't already enough drama on Scuba board.

I'm sorry you are "butt-hurt" over some posting on another forum.

I just don't see how it relates to Scuba board.

-Mitch

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
OK -- I'll just say it out front -- Halemano was the worst dive guide I've ever had! I do not and will not ever recommend anyone diving with him.

He was:

a. Unresponsive to the two people he was guiding;

b. Left the two people he was "guiding" to the point they couldn't see him;

c. He made an error in judgment that left everyone with a much more difficult exit than should have happened.

It was, and is, my opinion that but for the skill level of the two people being guided, there could have been a significant incident.

So, HM -- no, neither Lynne nor I will ever suggest anyone dive with you.

Is that clear enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom