Strobe for s100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have pretty much decided that I will be purchasing a Canon S100 for my first uw camera and think I will be pairing it wwith the ikelite housing. What would be a good strobe to use for this combination? I would like to buy something that will not require me to upgrade in the future.

I really like my S&S YS-01 with S95, but if money is no object I'd go for an Inon.

Last edited:
Both the S2000 and the YS-01 have the same output (GN20 on land). Recycle time w/ NiMH batteries is a bit better w/ the INON (1.5s vs 1.9s). Angle of coverage in degrees is close: 95 H/105 V for the S2000 vs 100 H 100/V for the YS-01 (w/ it's diffuser the S&S gets 110x110). Number of flashes per is 450 for the S2000 vs 330 for the YS-01. Both trigger via a fiber optic cable. The S2000 is smaller and lighter (though UW it is less buoyant than the -01). Cost difference, depending on where you buy, can be as much as $100 more for the INON.

The YS-01 has a built in aim light which, say on a night dive, can be handy. I doubt you would need to upgrade w/ either choice--except to buy a 2d one eventually. Think a bit about where things might lead for you. If you figure to stay w/ a point & shoot either is a great strobe. If you eventually would go for a dslr they might be a bit underpowered, lack hard wire connections etc. You tend to hang on to strobes and upgrade cameras, so whatever strobe you buy should last many years--and either brand would.

Personally? I like Sea & Sea. A lot. They make good, rugged strobes and keep it simple. I have a 110A and a YS-02 (same as -01 but w/out an aim light). If budget is a factor consider the YS-02. Same specs & strobe, just w/out the aim light. (It's about 100 bucks cheaper than the -01.) INONs are great, I just happen to lean towards S&S. Oh, here is a great way to compare UW strobes, courtesy of Digital Diver: Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network // ww

Both the S2000 and the YS-01 have the same output (GN20 on land). Recycle time w/ NiMH batteries is a bit better w/ the INON (1.5s vs 1.9s). Angle of coverage in degrees is close: 95 H/105 V for the S2000 vs 100 H 100/V for the YS-01 (w/ it's diffuser the S&S gets 110x110). Number of flashes per is 450 for the S2000 vs 330 for the YS-01. Both trigger via a fiber optic cable. The S2000 is smaller and lighter (though UW it is less buoyant than the -01). Cost difference, depending on where you buy, can be as much as $100 more for the INON.

The YS-01 has a built in aim light which, say on a night dive, can be handy. I doubt you would need to upgrade w/ either choice--except to buy a 2d one eventually. Think a bit about where things might lead for you. If you figure to stay w/ a point & shoot either is a great strobe. If you eventually would go for a dslr they might be a bit underpowered, lack hard wire connections etc. You tend to hang on to strobes and upgrade cameras, so whatever strobe you buy should last many years--and either brand would.

Personally? I like Sea & Sea. A lot. They make good, rugged strobes and keep it simple. I have a 110A and a YS-02 (same as -01 but w/out an aim light). If budget is a factor consider the YS-02. Same specs & strobe, just w/out the aim light. (It's about 100 bucks cheaper than the -01.) INONs are great, I just happen to lean towards S&S. Oh, here is a great way to compare UW strobes, courtesy of Digital Diver: Underwater Strobe Comparison Guide - Digital Diver Network // ww
No target light AND no s ttl......

I have had a Sea & Sea YS-DX27 for years and just recently bought an YS-01 that I still need to test
This link has some great tips Underwater Strobe Guide|Underwater Photography Guide
The main feature of the S2000 compared to the YS-01 is the wireless TTL, however this really only works and has been tested with Inon trays and arms and frankly I don't like those and I wonder how the system of mirrors would work so I would definitely go for a fiber optic cable
With that in mind the Inon kits are really built for canon housings so with an Ikelite I would go for a Sea & Sea YS-01 + Strobe Mask
If the ikelite housing is sufficiently flat you can buy a 10bar adapter and fiber optic for $55, the whole set up should be around $480-500

Ah, right. On the -02 there is no S-TTL. (Which, like viz, I personally find to be over rated. :eyebrow: ) // ww

There's also no focus light with the YS-02.

I like having two YS-01s because, for night dives, you don't need to bring any additional lighting, and the camera with strobes is a big set-up to carry. One focus light acts as your primary, one acts as your back-up. Obviously they're no replacement for a very strong light, such as a canister light, but they're equal to my regular light in strength.

I don't use TTL very much either.

I would not buy the YS-01 vs YS-02 only for the target light
The TTL function can be useful especially because the YS-01 has the option to dim the power I think 4 positions
So with the YS-01 in my opinion you have a good set up that will not need changing and the TTL feature will be helpful at the beginning of your life as an UW photographer

The focus light on the sea and sea is ok but I would recommend a sola or similar just because they put out much more light which you will appreciate on night dives. Also do not underestimate the value of two strobes, probably more important than the brand. I would also say that manual is much easier than it sounds, and you are likely to get much better results than with ttl. One knock on the inon, though I have no experience with it, is the size of the adjustment knob. The sea and sea is easy to adjust. Both are good and certainly if you stay with point and shoot more than adequate. I take two sets of batteries so that one is charging while the other is in the strobes, change after every dive, the SS is really easy to change, number of shots is then no longer relevant. have found that the s95 won't last through 2 dives anyway so might as well change all the batteries, maybe the s100 has a better battery.

Back
Top Bottom