Strobe for s100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

after 2 45+ minute dives, my s100 still showed full battery...i prefer inon to S&S but agree that the YS01 is a "good enough" option. after owning the S2000, i prefer my D2000 and will probably get another D2000 to go with it.

They -01 and the -02 both have a 10 step manual output adjustment range and the knob to adjust output is easy to use, as Jim H. noted. They are in essence the same strobe except for the DS-TTL feature and the aim light on the -01.

Since ease of battery changing was brought up, if you ever mess up w/ the o-ring and have a battery compartment flood you will ruin the batteries on a S&S. That's it. Rinse out the compartment, take care of the o-ring problem, put new batteries in--good to go.

INON and Sea & Sea are both solid brands. This isn't about which brand is better, it's more about which strobe fits your needs and budget. Buy the best you can now (even if you can't afford it!), it should serve you through many years. // ww

The S95 uses an N6-BL whilst the S100 uses an N5-BL which is bigger however battery life to CIPA standards is the same at 200 shots.

It is worth taking into account that CIPA takes one shot with full flash and one without so underwater unless you do manual white balance I would not expect more than 120-130 shots per battery before it dies

The focus light on the sea and sea is ok but I would recommend a sola or similar just because they put out much more light which you will appreciate on night dives. Also do not underestimate the value of two strobes, probably more important than the brand. I would also say that manual is much easier than it sounds, and you are likely to get much better results than with ttl. One knock on the inon, though I have no experience with it, is the size of the adjustment knob. The sea and sea is easy to adjust. Both are good and certainly if you stay with point and shoot more than adequate. I take two sets of batteries so that one is charging while the other is in the strobes, change after every dive, the SS is really easy to change, number of shots is then no longer relevant. have found that the s95 won't last through 2 dives anyway so might as well change all the batteries, maybe the s100 has a better battery.

I-das makes nice arms, indistinguishable from the UL, some might say they are "knock offs" or at least I have heard them called that, made in Hong Kong. With the ttl on the ys-01 you have to use on camera flash at full power, manual minimum power. Probably it is the same with s100 so keep that in mind for ttl. Sure is a fun camera and you will be awestruck at what can be accomplished with such a modest setup. Got to take a trip to Raja Ampat in jan and february with the Seven Seas liveaboard. Several world class photographers were on board and I was surprised to see that the camera they used when taking snapshots was the s95 though in the water they shot dslrs. Even the dive guides loved the s95 in the rec sea housing with the 2 SS strobes. With a few words of instruction they made some amazing shots and had we had many good moments and lots of laughs looking at the results.

I have an arm and tray set I got from Optical Ocean a few years back that I'm happy with. Trays, Arms, Handles & Clamps - Optical Ocean Sales Underwater Photo - 800-359-1295!

Jack Connick, an SB member, runs Optical Ocean and the Modular tray set 1 (tray, arm, 2 I-das clamps and a YS arm) is just under $125. I've since added a 2d handle, more arms etc. No problems, very sturdy and I like that I could expand it to add a 2d strobe. // ww

Inon D2000 and S2000 used with three different models of Canon camera. I've never used Sea & Sea, so I can't say anything good or bad about them, but I'm an Inon believer.

Back
Top Bottom