OPV Advice for older Jetstream

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasnacks

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have two Jetstreams made by poseidon for Dive Rite. They were the early runs that do not have an OPV in the first stage and use a hose with a built in OPV. I really want to use miflex hoses. I also do not want to void my warranty or put myself at risk. I read on a few posts that people suggest either using an adapter for the 2nd stage to accomplish this (like the one offered by northeastscubasupply). However, talking to Poseidon they indicated doing so would void the warranty as i.t is not parts made by poseidon. I also noted that in one post, a Poseidon rep indicated that another option is to install an OPV in a port on the first stage and the newer hose and connections on the second stage for the current jetstreams that allows for easy hose changes and opens up some options. Is doing this a viable option? What would be needed? If so, does poseidon offer the parts necessary for this to be done and keep the warranty valid? I really love these regs but would really really hate to give them up due to this problem. I hope I can get some info and thoughts/ideas about doing so safely.

Assuming the reg has the standard 3/8-24 threads in the LP ports and you have an extra LP port I don't see any reason you can't use one. I have used this one for several projects. OPV, Piranha Dive Manufacturing As for the warranty, I don't see why it would void it but bottom line, you can install it, use it and if you have issues that need warrenty service, put the original parts back before heading to the shop.

I would recommend using an external OPV that you screw in to one of the LP ports on the 1st stage. There will be no issues with warranties if you use own of those.

Jorgen,
Is there an OPV you would recommend or should the one linked above work fine? I see some listed as functioning at 300 psi, some at 200 psi and some list 180 psi. Any suggestions as to which one is most appropriate? I am also wondering at what psi does the OPV on the new 1st stages that have them built in function? Thanks both of you (Jorgen & Herman) for such quick responses.

Last edited:
The purpose of the OPV is to keep your hoses from exploading due to overpressure in the event your first stage fails. All that really matters is the opening pressure of the OPV is less than the max working pressure of your hoses, still, there is no need to use one that is way over the normal IP of your reg. I understand that Poseidons run higher than most other regs so figure your normal IP plus 50psi or so is fine... The one I linked to is adjustable, I drop it down to around 170 for my use (non standard use).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom