I knew it! Scuba IS addictive . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM

Missed and loved by many.
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm "friends" with the Rubicon Research Repository on Facebook, and just about every day, those folks share links to what they think are interesting articles about diving research. This morning's paper went by the rather intriguing name of, "A review of recent neurochemical data on inert gas narcosis." Who could resist reading that?

Well, I found the abstract fascinating. The researchers were looking at changes in various transmitters and receptors in a very specific part of the brain of rats. Although single nitrogen exposures lowered the levels of dopamine, a neurotransmitter associated with reward circuitry, repeated exposures actually resulted in an INCREASE. One of the final sentences in the abstract was:

The desensitization of the GABAA receptors on DA cells during recurrent exposures and the parallel long-lasting decrease of glutamate coupled to the increase in NMDA receptor sensitivity suggest a nitrogen neurotoxicity or addiction induced by recurrent exposures.
(bolding mine)

We all knew it, but there's scientific proof. Diving IS addictive!

Diving IS addictive, I never want to quit..

That would explain why I've been getting the shakes lately ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ummmm? Lets see now! Spent Load of money on classes and equipment. Most of my non diving friends dont like talking to me anymore because it always leads back to scuba. The LDS owner high fives his wife when he sees me. The wife is cheesed off cuz the eqipment is being stored in places that she considers `Hers`My diving buddies are tired of me bugging them to go splash... I dont think I have a problem :D

Dam it Lynne!! Now I am to be classified as an ADDICT? Where do I go for treatment? I know this wonderful little place about 100-110' down in the St Lawrence that might just cure me!! Oh hell, who am i kidding! I'll just have to learn to live with it. Lynne I have said it before and will say it again, as always your posts and comments are the little things in this board that are PEARLS!!! :D

ps: Were those lab rats or the ones at my LDS??

Where do I go for treatment?

... that's always the money question, isn't it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can see it now, the twelve steps for a recovering scuba diver... :D I guess they could call it Scuba Divers Anonymous. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom