Bitterness of Scuba Instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've enjoyed reading this post - and possibly the accusation of bitterness could be leveled at me because for sure I've made some (relatively) angry posts on SB, but these are borne out frustration, rather than anything else. I neither hold the majority of my divers or students in contempt or feel any kind of bitterness towards them, but if I make one comment about one particular person then the perception might be skewed towards believing that I feel the same way about *all* of the divers I encounter, which could not be further from the truth, given that several thousand pass through my current centre every year, and I directly work with many hundreds. It also has to be said that my rather dry sense of humour does not always come across well in type! :D

As an example - I made a couple of blog posts last year about a couple of divers - one who complained we were ripping him off because we charged him for three extra dives because he insisted he had done only ten, despite logging 13 in his log book, and another diver who, after passing through 3 very experienced instructors over two days, checked out angrily because we would not allow him to participate with the group diving on the boat, and confined him to the house reef. He gave every excuse possible, the BCD wasn't working properly, the fins were no good, the tank must have been half empty, blahblah, but would not or could not own up to the fact that he was a really terrible diver, in serious need of further training. This might give the impression that I think all divers are dishonest or no good, but rather like the editor of a newspaper, publishing an article that says "Everything was great today, there was no fighting in Iraq, and Mitt Romney went to the lavatory, ate breakfast and went jogging in the park" does not sell newspapers, I think you will find that instructors post on here about problem students, bad days, and frustrations, because actually a post that reads "so I had six open water students, they were all great, had fun and saw some fish" is pretty much what happens every day, quite normal, and not especially interesting to read about.

I think it's also true to say that there are a lot of non-instructor divers on SB who feel anger, bitterness, frustration, whatever, towards their instructors, LDS, agencies, dive guides or whatever, because they feel they were being ripped off, the instructor did something dangerous, the guide fell asleep on the sun deck, whatever, and that is flak that we take on a regular basis. Another blog of mine (I'm not *reeeallly advertising, just pointing stuff out! :D ) about people who walk into a dive centre asking for a discount because they automatically expect that we are cheating them out of money received both positive and negative feedback - positive from dive professionals, negative from potential customers. Am I bitter about people asking for discounts? Not really, because we do give them, but the automatic assumption that we, as dive instructors or dive centres are seeking only to leech money out of people is another seriously frustrating aspect of working in the industry, given that we don't earn a lot of money in the first place. On the other hand, yeah, some dive centres are only out for the cash money, but it's not representative of *all* of them, but I think it's almost basic human nature to complain rather than praise, to read about the gory side of life, rather than the nice pretty flowers that grow in your war-torn country of choice, metaphorically speaking. There's more complaints on SB than praise in the Kudos forum, after all...!

There is a lot of inter-agency bitterness between instructors: This or that agency is better than the other, if you want to be a real diver you have to buy a BP/W before we even teach you, the only way to dive is with XYZ agency and only instructors with 30 years of experience who can calculate deep gas decompression profiles without a calculator are worthy of teaching basic scuba classes - and that I think is borne of the simple fact that scuba diving is quite easy, actually, very safe, and most divers - even those trained by 18 year old, freshly certified instructors, have a tendency not to die at all, but "it ain't like it used to be in the old days"...! :D

If we were all bitter instructors, we would not keep doing this - 7 years in my case - and if we were all bitter about our customers then we would have been fired a long time ago. If divers were bitter about the service that we give them, they would never come back to dive with us, which rather a lot of them do, actually, and often request us personally, and if there's one or two that I never want to see again, or never want to see me again, out of the thousands I have worked with over the years, then so be it, because probably the other customers don't want to share a boat with them again, either.

Safe diving, have fun, don't be bitter - but if you do have a serious problem - speak up and discuss, the world is a better place that way.

Cheers

C.

Whenever we go on a charter boat that has a bunch of new divers, eyes go to the skill level in water, right after we jump in....You really should look...for the sake of safety.
It's sad to say, all new divers ARE NOT SAFE. Some are so severely lacking in basic skills, they look like a catastrophe waiting to happen. Fortunately, there are many new divers that were trained very well, and who dive as if this had been a constant past time for them for many years.

So invariably, when a bunch of very poor new divers are spotted, the conversation later, will be along the lines of :"Wow..who was the moron that trained these guys?". Dive instructors in general, take the brunt for the small percentage that have done a very poor job. Those doing the very poor job, are a terrible reflection on dive instructors in general....in general, this is a group that takes great pride in teaching well, and in turning out divers that will be safe and competent.

There are constantly threads on Scubaboard, about the need for higher levels of training, and more intensive initial OW training. Dive Instructors DO care about this. So is it any wonder they become bitter about being maligned by the bad reputation caused by the minority of instructors, that practice high volume, low quality training, spitting out incompetent divers.

A perfect Storm for creating this scenario is Groupon. It creates a business model for a dive shop, where the instructor must handle high numbers of students, with horrifically insufficient payment for their instruction time. The model pushes too many into a class, it pushes the instructor to move them through the skills fast, whether the students pick them up or not, and it pushes the concept of awarding certifications to students that did not learn the skills, and who can not perform the skills to a level a good instructor would pass them with.

So we have this majority of Dive instructors that have dedicated their lives to creating safe divers that will enjoy great adventures--a wonderful life changing evolution....And they are hearing derogatory slurs about Dive Instructors....I think this should create some bitterness. They work diligently, for less money that the work is really worth, do a great job, and then have to put up with the general slurs.

My point in this post, is that instead of a "Whine and Cheese" exercise, this ought to be a "wake up call" to bad business practices that CAUSE the slurs, and that endanger new students. SOMEONE is at fault when a new certified diver rockets to the surface with insufficient skill to control buoyancy. SOMEONE is at fault when the new diver swims head up, feet down, and can barely move forward--hoovering their air in 15 minutes on a supposed 60 minute dive.
SOMEONE is at fault when a new diver becomes panic stricken, because they realize they do not know what they are doing, and they realize they could die.

All of us, are that "SOMEONE", .... if we sit back and ignore a powerful force like Groupon -- a business model that facilitates this outcome.
All of us need to speak out against forcing an instructor to teach for 25% of the going rate, and we should all push the idea of MORE TIME with each skill in class, with smaller "student to teacher" ratios.

We need to change the concept of volume without real training to become "dirty".... We need to create a "Cultural" reaction to what Groupon does to Dive Training, so that any shop or instructor that is approached with this direction, will immediately realize how bad this would be for the future of the shop, and the potential students......This we will go a long way in removing the slurs that are causing much of the bitterness today. This will also be much better for new divers :)

All of us, are that "SOMEONE", .... if we sit back and ignore a powerful force like Groupon -- a business model that facilitates this outcome.
All of us need to speak out against forcing an instructor to teach for 25% of the going rate, and we should all push the idea of MORE TIME with each skill in class, with smaller "student to teacher" ratios.

It should come as no surprise that I am avid that diving should be made affordable so everyone can enjoy it but I do have to touch base with the groupon. I know a shop that did try this and made an incredible deal for discover scuba classes. The cost was excellent for the potential divers but a nightmare for the staff. It gave me the experience I needed to become a discover scuba diving leader but it worked us to the max.

A going rate is determined by the competition and trust me I am very thankful that I was able to get 6 specialty certs and a divemast rating for about 1,500 dollars (Give or take) in the local area. But now that I am where I am looking back its a logistical nightmare being in the middle of the country where people never give diving a second thought unless its for an upcoming vacation sometime. We may get 2 students a week sometimes we may get 10. I dont get into shops buisness or instructors but our local prices cant be paying instructors much as it is.

Id say its proven here that the instructors are in it for the love of the sport more then the pay. We have to drive a minimum of 1.5 hours to the closest open water and then the gas to and from plus lodging if needed.

Groupon I think did not do well though because we got alot of students in but only a handful went on to take Open Water.

Crowley, that was an absolutely beautiful post that I think probably completely explains the OP's perception.

Crowley, that was an absolutely beautiful post that I think probably completely explains the OP's perception.
Tru dat!

SB does seem to have a high curmudgeon factor.

The "Internet" has a high curmudgeon factor. SB is generally tame by comparison IMO.

It's the Internet, by all means ask the question but consider the source carefully when you get an answer.

The dynamics of a public internet forum discussion are different from a private discussion, and not just in terms of people being nicer in person, whether due to natural human sociability, fear of getting attacked, better perception of tone & body language, etc...

In a private discussion, you're dealing with one person. If that person has different religious, political, professional, etc...views from you, oh, well. It's easier to just smile, nod, excuse yourself & move on than bother getting into a debate trying to win over a convert to your way of thinking.

On a public forum, though, there is the awareness of having an audience, and by way of that readership, an impact on the views of a larger number of people. Those people in turn may affect others, and so on, achieving a potential domino effect impacting broader public perceptions (yes, the odds of a single forum thread changing training standards, etc..., seems slim). Furthermore, as I recall a character played by Harrison Ford telling a child in a movie that 'He who remains silent is assumed to assent,' people may feel a strong motivation to 'sound off' on controversial issues on forums. So forums give people a soap box from which to advance (or do battle with) a viewpoint.

To all that, consider that lengthy intellectual analyses of issues sometimes lack the 'punch' of 'edgy,' critical postings. Like if you hear an advertisement for 'hard hitting journalism,' or some other conflict-laden confrontative approach to an issue (like t.v. shows where 2 diametrically opposed 'talking heads' debate a topic).

This is not unique to scuba instructors. It comes into play with a range of controversial issues. That said, on a scuba forum, you're going to see those controversial issues include the adequacy (or lack thereof) of OW training program standards in mainstream agencies, in the application of those standards by instructors, in the 'finished product' of OW divers observed (& their performance judged) by forum members who see them dive, etc...

People's minds seem instinctively drawn to drama, conflict and aggressive styles. Nearly all of our spectator sports are competitive, yes? So you can expect some forum drama.

Richard.

The first time I breathed underwater it was an experience that changed my life. It was so cool to be under the water for 45 minutes with the fish. That was my introduction to scuba class. I immediately came home, signed up for OW certification and should be in a 12 step program except there is no way I want to be cured of this addiction. Hanging out on SB helps feed that drive to dive when I'm dry.

Along the way almost everybody I've met has been really nice. TSandM even sent me a PM and tried to hook me up with good safe dive buddies when I complained that my former dive club left me out on a reef by myself when I didn't really have the skills at that time to feel comfortable.

I've seen personal attacks here on SB to the point it almost makes you want to stop posting. In fact this thread has brought out a few quips that are a little over the top. These types of responses are IMO what the OP has interpreted as the "bitterness" factor. As a relative newbie myself it does seem like more experienced divers are belittling the newbies and our lack of experience. But that is why we hang out here, to hear what others think about unsafe situations and how to be safer the next time. And many of those posts do come from members who hold instructor certifications.

For the most part the Internet affords a relatively anonymous forum for discussions. Things we wouldn't normally say for fear of getting punched in the nose can be posted with relative impunity. Aside from some rude and inappropriate posts no real personal accountability happens in cyberspace.

I've been telling my 9 year old that there are two things in life, the way people should behave and the way they actually do behave. Personally I have no time for mean bitter people. I've learned here on SB to ignore personal attacks. Not worth my time or effort to respond. Ive also learned to respect many,many more posters here who truley care about this sport and give really good advice.

Laugh, it beats crying.
Smile, it beats frowning.
Love, it beats hating.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom