New to diving with a couple of questions about the Viper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Setsailsoon

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I notice you have one supplier that is selling an MR12 Viper regulator set. Why is it only this dealer and I've read this is actually an old unit made originally by or for Dacor. I like some of the features but I'm puzzled by the marketing approach. Are these really new regulators or old ones and how do you plan to continue this product? As only through the one dealer exclusively or to others later on or what? Lastly will it get the same support as your other products for the same amount of time?

I'm a retired engineer and really like the design of your valves. I know almost nothing about scuba but I am very familiar with some pretty high-tech valves and these look pretty good to me.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

IMHO: I'd avoid this one. It is out of production as far as I know and getting parts down the road will likely be an issue. Unless the Mares rep has more current info.

The supplier says Mares "has agreed to re-introduce this popular model". I'm kind of leery and that's why I was hoping to hear some thing from Mares. Here's the link and you can scroll to the bottom to see the dialog about re-instating it. I'd be interested in what you think of this. Thanks!

Mares Viper MR12 Regulator @ Divers-Supply.com

I would still wait to hear from the Mares rep as the Mares website does not show this product as part of their line. I'd want to know if this is really going to be a regular part of their line as opposed to their having some extra second stages on hand that they are clearing out or Mares agreeing to do only a limited run of these second stages. If this ends up being the case, I'd think long and hard about this plan. It is being sold at a good price, but if future availability of parts is in question it might be a deal breaker for me. I see that the package deal with this reg has a dive computer that has been discontinued.

Hi all,
Good questions and also dialogue. To clarify, this is a special production of this specific 2nd stage for limited retailers. RE: parts availablity, this should not present a problem. The internal parts are the same as many of our 2nd stages, in addition to the MV Octopus which has been and still is in production. I am not aware of any changes to this for some time to come. Parts are always worth being concerned about, however in this case we should have parts for many years to come. The regulator is a good one, and I would be confident purchasing it if you are so inclined. I didn't follow the link, so I can't speak to the computer, sounds like it's not a Mares computer.

I hope this helps.

Zak,

Thanks for the reply and info. It's great to have manufacturers represented on this board so we can get the facts we need. Mares valve technology is pretty innovative and it seems your products hold up well. The Viper's side exhaust was what attracted me and I think I'll give it a try.

Best regards,

Chris

Zak,

Thanks for the reply and info. It's great to have manufacturers represented on this board so we can get the facts we need. Mares valve technology is pretty innovative and it seems your products hold up well. The Viper's side exhaust was what attracted me and I think I'll give it a try.

Best regards,

Chris

I noticed this reg too so I did some checking, from what I was told each dive shop can call it whatever they want. DiversDirect has it listed as Mares MV 12s Reg, and scubaah.com has it listed as a Mares Viper 12s. I've thought about getting one and keeping it as a 2nd reg for trips. (I use a carbon 42, but a mv as my octo).

John

I've only found it at divers-supply where it's actually marketed as a regulator. The others all seem to market the MV as an octo and not as a regulator. Do you think the MV octo actually the same as the Viper regulator? I guess it could be but it seems the octo's are usually not the same specs as the regulator. More geared toward preventing free flow so they don't breath as easy. Of course this is my newbie thinking's. Could be completely wrong. This is pretty confusing to a newbie. Zak, help! Can you answer the question. Is the MV octo actually the same as the Viper regulator?

Thanks for the reply John.

Chris

I've only found it at divers-supply where it's actually marketed as a regulator. The others all seem to market the MV as an octo and not as a regulator. Do you think the MV octo actually the same as the Viper regulator? I guess it could be but it seems the octo's are usually not the same specs as the regulator. More geared toward preventing free flow so they don't breath as easy. Of course this is my newbie thinking's. Could be completely wrong. This is pretty confusing to a newbie. Zak, help! Can you answer the question. Is the MV octo actually the same as the Viper regulator?

Thanks for the reply John.

Chris

The MV and the Viper reg you see are the same thing (but diff colors), the newer viper one could be made out of some different materials --- that I'm not sure on, but they look the same as the mv. The Mares MV Octo came from the Dacor Viper which use to be one of Dacor's normal reg setup's they offered. I did notice on scubaah.com they mentioned that the "Dacor Viper is back" or something on their add. But it seems as if this is a limited run that was made. So in other words I think if you took a Mares MV octo and hooked it up to a 12S first stage it would breath the same as one of these that you are looking at. There is no difference between a Octo and 2nd Stage on a regulator (other than the Octo typically is yellow).

Zak can correct me if I'm wrong, but for once I think I may be right!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom