BC annual service? Opinions please....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just curious of the frequency other divers tend to have their BC's inspected and serviced? I have a ScubaPro KnightHawk BC (which I love) and have owned it for about 1 1/2 years with about 30 dives (salt and fresh) done with it. Before a dive trip, I always do a couple of local dives to test all my gear. Do others really have their BC's tested according to manufacturer's recommedations (every 12 months, I believe), or do some settle for every few years? No one wants a dump valve free flow or similar, but wouldn't caring for the BC well, rinsing very well and storing appropriately, then having it completely broken down and inspected every 2-3 be sufficient?

I'm just curious what other divers here do, and appreciate any feedback. Happy diving.

Kevin

Never. N

I have wondered the same question as well...how often if at all should I service my BC? I own an Oceanic Probe BCD and have found that it is pretty easy to take apart. You can screw off the dump valves and inflator hose. Then really rinse out the inside of the BC bladder. That was one of my pet peaves, it was a bit difficult for me to flush the bladder to rinse it out. Now its a breeze. I can even remove the spine pad, making wash and dry time even quicker. A couple notes of caution. First, The threads on my BC inflator and dump valves are plastic which might be prone to damage if cross threaded. Also, there is a gasket where the dump valve connects to the BC, carry spares and dont forget to install it when re-assembling.
Are all BC's capable of dissassmebly like this? Is what I am doing not reccomended since I am not a repair tech?

I have wondered the same question as well...how often if at all should I service my BC? I own an Oceanic Probe BCD and have found that it is pretty easy to take apart. You can screw off the dump valves and inflator hose. Then really rinse out the inside of the BC bladder. That was one of my pet peaves, it was a bit difficult for me to flush the bladder to rinse it out. Now its a breeze. I can even remove the spine pad, making wash and dry time even quicker. A couple notes of caution. First, The threads on my BC inflator and dump valves are plastic which might be prone to damage if cross threaded. Also, there is a gasket where the dump valve connects to the BC, carry spares and dont forget to install it when re-assembling.
Are all BC's capable of dissassmebly like this? Is what I am doing not reccomended since I am not a repair tech?

Some people are good at mechanical things. Taking apart anything and putting it back together seems second nature. If you are one of them then I see no real harm in taking apart and putting back together your BCD. Heck, on an outing to Kingston, one of the junior divers (my peer) had a problem with the shoulder dump valve. One of the senior guys (3000+ dives) took it apart, cleaned some grit out, put it back together. Had a great dive.

On the other hand, my neighbour has watched me take apart, clean and put back together a push lawn mower (there was grass stuck in the wheels). He was totally amazed as if I just performed magic. He should not be taking apart anything and putting it back together.

I've seen DMs in the Caribbean fix BCDs (sticking something) on the boat. They just say you have to be careful you don't lose any of the small bits.

I take the BC and AIr XS2 every two to three years. I am meticulous in keeping my equipment clean/maintained so I think every 2-3 should suffice.

Especially just a BC. Test her on a tank and dunk her in a pool. Should be simple enough.

BC should have a functional test before every dive and a deflation test after every washing.

Every year I disassemble inflator elbow, OPV and inflator unit. Clean, check O rings/gasket, lube as required, new zip ties and reassemble. I test in bucket of water for leaks. Fully inflate and leave over night and again checking for leaks. Do I need to do this? probably not but I do it anyway. I like to play. I check function before every dive. If going on a diving holiday I will usually service before I leave. I also own a DSS "valve flusher" which does a nice job of flushing the inflator unit.

Back
Top Bottom