Looking to go dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victorzamora

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 6'6", 250#....but I don't know what the deal is. My pants are (36-38)x(34-36). The problem is I'm 6'6"...I almost fit into size L drysuits (according to Harvey's sizing chart)....but I'm too tall for even their 4XL long. I was looking into getting a couple of wet suits to suit all of my exposure protection needs. I was looking to go dry to save money. So I have to ask, dumb decision or not? I'm looking for a used dry suit. Get a single, used dry suit and various layers of undergarments (probably non-dive-brand thermals) instead of a bunch of wetsuits.

A buddy of mine sent me a link to used gear at his LDS. One of the options is a Harvey's dry suit, XL, for $120. It looks very much like the Aqua Capsule. I am tempted to order it after I get a guarantee (in writing) that I can return it for a full refund (minus shipping). That is an incredible deal, especially if it were to fit. Problem is, it's a 6.5mm thick neoprene suit. Is that just way too warm?

PS- I've also got a 2mm shortie...but even in 75F water I start getting chilly in that....right towards the end starting on dive 6, about 20min in starting on dive 12 of the week...so not too big of a deal. I also never get cold wearing it, even on a 70F night dive.

Your not going to fit into an XL......

You need a custom suit or a Whites Fusion. You can look online, but you are going to have a hard time finding someone that was your same size that is selling their suit. We have options starting at $599, but you would need it custom +$150. If your already talking about your options at a $120 drysuit, I am not sure you want to spend the cash on something that is easily 5xs that money. I may be wrong though.

Things I would recommend....Whites Fusion 2XL/3XL Drysuit or getting a custom suit from one of many manufacturers out there. I have a slightly used Fusion in that size, but it is nowhere near $120 price tag :wink:

Goodluck in your search! Feel free to post that link to the drysuit the LDS has, and at least we can offer some pointers on it. At that price, it most likely needs new seals, possible zipper, plus you never mentioned what size shoe you wear :wink: You might even have to replace the boots/socks on an XL if it somehow fit.

I'm 6' 4" tall and did weigh 250 (230 now) and the 2xl/3xl Fusion fits me fine.

I dont think you'd have any problems being 2" taller either based on how much spare material there was in my suit.

Mike at DRIS is The Man when it comes to these - buy with confidence!

I hear your pain. I'm 6'-7", and 240#. 36" inseam, 38" in the arms, 46" chest, 36" waist. Nothing, repeat nothing fit right off a shelf. I ended up full custom from DUI because it was the brand locally available. LOVE it! Yes, the money was not "pretty", but I have come to the realization that it is the way it is....

Years back I had a custom SAS wet suite. Again, the custom tailoring was the key. I dove that even in 39 degree water. There are a couple threads as to makers of custom suites.

You may also want to take a look on the "outlet" page on DUI. There are sometimes returns or demo suites that just might work, and are less than the new ones. Many are customs that were either measured or cut to the incorrect dimensions, and there is nothing wrong with them except they didn't fit the customer. No, nothing like the deal you saw, but something tells me that isn't a deal in the long run....

Undergarment - that's a whole different story. Yet to find "Tall" in those.....

Four comments:
I was looking into getting a couple of wet suits to suit all of my exposure protection needs. I was looking to go dry to save money. So I have to ask, dumb decision or not?
It is unlikely that you would 'save money' by 'going dry'. If you (are lucky enough to) get a good used drysuit that fits you, you are probably looking in the $500-750 range at a minimum. If you look at two used wet suits, you are probably still looking at slightly less money. Part of the problem is availability - there simply aren't that many suits (dry or wet) out there on the used market for your size.
I'm looking for a used dry suit. Get a single, used dry suit and various layers of undergarments (probably non-dive-brand thermals) instead of a bunch of wetsuits.
That makes good sense. A drysuit for cold water and a single wetsuit for moderate-to-warm water is a very reasonable approach. I have done that for 10 years - a 3mm wetsuit for anything 73 degrees or above and a drysuit for anything colder - and it has worked well. I have recently added a 5mm wetsuit for water in the low 70s, high 60s, not because the drysuit is too warm, but because of the convenience of a wetsuit in mid-summer.
A buddy of mine sent me a link to used gear at his LDS. One of the options is a Harvey's dry suit, XL, for $120. It looks very much like the Aqua Capsule. I am tempted to order it after I get a guarantee (in writing) that I can return it for a full refund (minus shipping). That is an incredible deal, especially if it were to fit.
Yes, it is an incredible deal. I would even call it an unbelievable deal. If it is a standard XL Harvey's suit (the Aqua Capsule is the only one they distribute in 6.5mm), and it is being sold - even used - for only $120, I would have to ask, 'What's wrong with it?' New, those suits run over $1100. I have trouble imagining why a LDS, or an online retailer for that matter, would sell such a suit used for only $120. But, putting aside the issue of price, you aren't going to get in the suit, so save yourself the cost of shipping (even if they are foolish enough to give you a written guarantee). If you take a look at the Harvey's drysuit sizing chart (http://www.harveys-divesuits.com/sizing/neoprene_dry_suits.aspx), you will see that a XL suit just isn't going to fit a 6' 6" guy. And a poorly fitting drysuit is worse than no drysuit at all. My dive buddy is 6' 6", and he is in a custom suit. Maybe, you can get a Fusion that fits. But, I honestly doubt it. And, you won't get one for $120.
Problem is, it's a 6.5mm thick neoprene suit. Is that just way too warm?
Way too warm for what conditions? If you are diving inland quarries in VA and NC, or off the VA coast in the Labrador current, I would suggest that 6.5mm crushed neoprene suit is NOT 'too warm', even if you are relatively cold-tolerant. What a drysuit does is give you the option of diving year round, in cold inalnd waters or colder coastal waters. Last week we were diving a quarry near Yanceyville NC, where the water temps were 45 degrees. We did two 40 minute dives in the 80ft range, and I was comfortable in my drysuit the whole time (the face-freeze around my mouth was another matter entirely). I can't imagine enjoying those dives wearing a wetsuit, of any thickness, now that I know what dry diving is like.

Last edited:
Going dry is great for diving in colder waters. I know many people that dive dry even in warmer waters, but you aren't going to get that kind of versatility out of a neoprene suit. With a shell suit (I have the White's Fusion) you can change your undergarments depending on the water temp and get a great range out of it.

Yeah, I'm also a size 15 shoe. My feet are very shoe-shaped, so some size 12 shoes fit me tight but not uncomfortable. That IS another problem, you're right.

Here is the link to that dry suit. They don't have a specific listing, but you can find it fairly easily. I was skeptical about pricing, but ordered boots/hood/gloves for my fiancee from them. GREAT shape, $25 total...so it added to my confidence.

Also, I'm not hesitant to shell out for good quality gear. I believe in buy right, buy once....buy cheap, buy twice. Problem is: I just dropped over $1k in scuba gear (BP/W setup for me and an AWESOME deal on vest/reg for my fiancee)...as well as her wet suit, a few certs, etc. I know scuba isn't cheap...and I know it's not outrageously expensive either. I've really only put a little under $2k (excluding trips) into scuba recently...but I'm a college kid with practically $0 income. A nice, custom suit is simply NOT an option right now. Depending on my job this summer, I might look into a nicer dry suit.

The other thing I'm concerned with is whether I want a dry suit because it's pretty or because I really want/would use one.

Buying a used dry suit is a game if you have no experience with them. If the zipper is shot its another 300 to fix it. If the valve is shot its another 100 to fix it. If the seals are broken it would be another 30-50 per wrist seal and more like 60-80 for the neck. So you may end up paying the same as a new entry level suit. If you know dry suits inside out and kno where to look its another story

Dry suit purchase is a major purchase may be even more major than a reg/bcd
So if you can wait and buy a new suit in a bit I would recommend to do so. I heard fusion can be had for around 1k in the Us. That would be a great option and you will unlikely regret it. Except weird GUE and some other technical divers I have never seen anyone complaining. Especially when they are of a non average body constitution.
Heck I even saw a 13 year old kid doing the dry course in the pool yesterday. Nothing but fusion will work for him for long time. It was very smart of his dad buying him that suit.

So this'll be the third time I've written it up....but it keeps failing to post. So I'm trying this again.

For those of you still caring/interested/following this thread still....I got two drysuit dives in about 10 days ago. 4/28 late at night in a backmounted single, and 4/29 diving sidemount doubles. I was in Blue Stone getting a Hollis Reg Tech certification, and started talking to all the guys about diving and gear and stuff (as one can imagine). I was fortunate enough that a guy by the name of Buck Buchanan was there, and willing to lend me his FX100 and teach me a thang or two about drysuits, sidemount, and diving in general. He spent a few hours with me fiddling with my harness and then setting up sidemount (which I've learned to love, btw). I've definitely caught the bug...and I understand why people fall in love with drysuits. I'm looking at an FX100...and also looking at a White's Fusion. The problem I'm having with choosing a drysuit is my bias. Just due to the fact that I work in a Hollis shop and get a great discount means that I probably can't find a cheaper drysuit. Also, I have tried one on and know how the XXL fits.

On a related note to sizing, I have to bend my neck pretty aggressively to get it under the zipper and into the neck seal. Is this too small? I'm afraid going up one size is going to make it too big elsewhere...y'know?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom