water temp comparison to cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know it varies a lot between diver preference, but what do "most" divers wear in Hawaii for March (now) for a 60 min dive? 3 mm full with hood? Haven't been to Hawaii in the winter months, and it seems to be really blowing over there now.

The water in March/April is pretty much the coldest time of year for Hawaii. Last year the water was 73/74 degrees during the first week of April. This year I plan to wear my 5mm merino lined full suit with my new LavaCore long-sleeved shirt under it. I also plan to have my HotSnapz hot packs, just in case I need them. But I tend to run cold as I don't wear anything thinner than a 5mm full suit, even at the end of August in Maui!

In Maui (Feb/Mar 2012) the water temp varied between 73 and 79 degrees (Lanai and Maui wharf.) In Cozumel I am fine with a 3/2 Bare wetsuit and a 5mm Henderson in Maui. The wharf was warm, but the 73 degree dives (back wall Molikini and Lanai Cathedrals) - nice to have that extra warmth. Both places I wear a tropic hood.

I know it varies a lot between diver preference, but what do "most" divers wear in Hawaii for March (now) for a 60 min dive? 3 mm full with hood? Haven't been to Hawaii in the winter months, and it seems to be really blowing over there noQU

There is no "most". Height, weight and gender will go a long way towards determining a close guess at wetsuits thickness needs. Add in dive frequency and the wetsuits needs can be all over the board. I can eyeball divers and ask them how many dives they've done in the last little while and get it right most of the time, sight unseen and question un-asked and it would be sheer chance. If you gotta go with a one size fits all, then you gotta say 5 nil and hope for the best. It will be unlikely anyone will be "too hot", and the majority won't get too cold.

I was there at the end of January beginning of February and I took my 5 mm Henderson and I was warm. I tried a 3 mm shortie on one dive and I was fine too. Water temps was 23°C. I am a tall skinny older male

I just got back from Maui diving, March 7th thru 14th. Did 11 dives and the water was 74 to 75 in all the locations I dove at. I use a full one pice scuba pro 3m wetsuit and never got cold or even close to being cold. No hooh or gloves just the wetsuit. Even did a scooter dive with some friends and did not get cold, you do not work to hard riding the scooters LOL. Cant wait to move there and enjoy diving all the time.

I just got back from Maui diving, March 7th thru 14th. Did 11 dives and the water was 74 to 75 in all the locations I dove at. I use a full one pice scuba pro 3m wetsuit and never got cold or even close to being cold. No hooh or gloves just the wetsuit. Even did a scooter dive with some friends and did not get cold, you do not work to hard riding the scooters LOL. Cant wait to move there and enjoy diving all the time.

That shows the difference one person has to another. I would have been cold with just a 3mm at those temperatures. In fact, when I was in Maui with those temperatures in my 3mm I was indeed cold enough to be uncomfortable and switched to the operator's provided 5/4 suit.

Yes you guys are right, everyone is different. If in doubt use a thicker one, the idea is to have FUN and be comfortable. Still 75 beats our local lake right now 42 LOL

Hey there,

For me, Coz is a 3mm full no hood. If I get warm I can flood a bit, but by the end of a week I am cold after the 2nd 60 minute dive. In Maui, I prefer a 5mm, and that is during summer. I know the temps are close, but the pacific just seems colder ?!?!?!?! Also, boat dives vs shore dives in Maui seem to make a difference in the preceived temp too. Back side of Molokini, or deeper parts of Lanai can feel a tad colder than a shore dive at Black Rock. I avoid a hood if I can, and have never needed one in HI. I have seen everything from shorts and T-shirt to dry suit divers during my years in Hawaii!

Very personal choices - your results may vary!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom