What's the coldest water temp you will wetsuit in??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did a dive in 33° f Sunday and my buddy dove wet 7mm with hood I dove dry with my halo undergarment I was warm and dry he was wet and cold like can't feel my feet hands or face cold lol so needles to say we had to go have a couple shots of brandi after ....so I guess diving wet has some advantages. ;-)

WOW - 33 degrees in a wetsuit!!!

WOW - 33 degrees in a wetsuit!!!

I did that for one of the Deep Diver course dives (to 120fsw-May 26 in NS). Was the only non-pro on board and only one diving wet. One DM (who was my checkout buddy when I took OW) was giving me a razzing about how cold I would be. The shoe was on the other foot when his drysuit flooded at that depth.....

That's a big reason I'm still diving wet after 10 years of diving in very cold water and with most of my friends diving dry. I see too many divers whose drysuits leak and they lose the rest of the dive or don't do the second dive. At least the undergarments today help with retaining warmth and dryness if that happens. The learning curve in the use of a drysuit can be extended. Sometimes drysuits are in for repair and they lose dives or have to borrow or dive wet.

At least I know I'm going to be wet and am properly suited for it and am mentally prepared for it. For deep dives to the NDL's, they don't last that long anyway. Half an hour total bottom time at 38F is really no big deal if your exposure protection fits well and is appropriate for the temps.

Did a 30 min dive in 53 degree water yesterday. 3 mil with a 3 mil hood. Depends what you can comfortably tolerate, but cold is cold.

33 degree in Superior. I've dove wet in the Midwest cold water off and on since 83 with varying suit successes.

My current 7-8mm with integrated hood has been a huge improvement on anything prior.
It's not the first dive.. but the second. Dry eventually but hesitate seeing all the leaks with others as Ayisha outlined above.

My coldest was yesterday. 44 deg, wearing a 7mm and 7/3 hood/vest. I was toasty warm except for my hands. the 5mm gloves just didn't do it for me....

I'll take my 3 mil custom wetshirt down to 77 degrees. Period. Colder than that I want a heated submarine.

I did a maximum of 100 min. cave dive in Mexico. We did 2 dives per day over 5 days. The water was 76 degrees. Wore a 5mm wetsuit & was comfy, as long as I was swimming. If we stopped for any length of time or when debriefing the dive on the surface, I would start to get cold. I don't think I could seriously withstand much colder than that in a wetsuit. Drysuit is my friend.

Last edited:
75 in a 7mm with a 5/3 hooded vest.

And the air better be at least 80F.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom