Cell Service On Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
How is the cell service on Bonaire? I hope to not be on my phone at all during vacation, but sometimes it's necessary.

Thanks,

PH

Didn't actually make any calls, but when I turned on my AT&T iphone 4 (previously activated international services), I consistently got 3 to 4 bars around town and the populated coast. I did not bring it with me in the national park or along the north coast were the heavy-duty radio towers are located. Cheers, Kevin.

Install a Skype app on the phone and make calls through an internet connection for .02/min.

I made calls, sent and received text messages, and checked voicemail on a Telus phone from Canada. Shouldn't have any trouble as long as you have a current phone. If you have some older CDMA phone or something you might have issues.

I've made phone calls with an iPhone (it was probably a 3GS, but I don't remember for certain) from Eden Beach Resort in Bonaire in the past.

Richard.

I have an unlocked flipphone that I brought with me before, and bought a local network sim card there for calls and sms and 'topped it up' when needed.

My memory from last visit was that my phone did not work, maybe because it was in the hotel safe, Im not certain. we did over 26 hours underwater in 6 days, and I am certain it did not work there either.

This won't do you much good around the island, but if the resort you're staying in has wi-fi, you may be able to configure your phone to talk via the internet, rather than via cell towers. It saved me some wicked roaming charges when I was in Bonaire last November.

max

Bonaire has GSM and CDMA, so any sort of cell phone should work, it's just a matter of how much. If you need to be on the phone and can't Skype, prepaid phone cards are cheaper than cell phone minutes/roaming. You can buy them at Chat-n-Browse among other places.

Thanks for the replies folks. All post were spot on. Just got back on Sunday. My Verizon phone was able to send and receive texts and calls. Luckly I only got a couple of each. One note, all my calls came through on the caller i d as restriced and I wasn't able to access voice mail. Probably a solution to both, but I wasn't that motivated to correct either. :wink:

We had a a great trip and will return!

PH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom