SSI Cert card question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:bump:

Time to bump this one since I don't see a definitive answer.

I have three cards from SSI (AOW, Nitrox, Performance Buoyancy) and all three cards have different numbers. So, the last 6 numbers apparently don't really identify you as a specific diver. When we sign someone's log book, should we just write SSI in the Cert# area? How about when dive ops want you cert#?

Does anyone from SSI ever review this site?

Write any of the numbers that you can memorize. The only time SSI issues a constant number is when you get to the pro level.

:bump:

Time to bump this one since I don't see a definitive answer.

I have three cards from SSI (AOW, Nitrox, Performance Buoyancy) and all three cards have different numbers. So, the last 6 numbers apparently don't really identify you as a specific diver. When we sign someone's log book, should we just write SSI in the Cert# area? How about when dive ops want you cert#?

Does anyone from SSI ever review this site?

Time for another bump, I was just about to ask this question when I found this thread. I don't know what an 'odin system' is (assuming web based software?) but if it requires a nuclear launch code to identify individual divers then it is an extremely BAD web based softwware package and should be scrapped.

Since no one knows what they mean it can't be to identify a divers training level, or if it is it's a pretty well kept secret!

In any case still waiting for an official answer as to what part of said missile launch codes to use and why they REALLY need to be that long and why they NEED to change with each change in cert.

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

From what I can derrive from my own C-card numbers, is that the first few numbers up to the letter (so 000000X) are those of the certifying agency. The digits after that are, from what I can see, just a serial number that identifies the c-card itself. The letters might indicate the type of c-card (which specialty etc.), but I have not yet found a clear pattern. In my opinion, SSI should just stop putting the "Buddy certification #" in their Total DiveLogs. The only number that actually matters (again, in my opinion) is the Pro registration number.

Another time for another bump!!

It seems that everybody agree about the first 6 digits of our C-cards plus the 2 digits letter at the end. These are what I found so far:
The first 6 numbers : your Dive Center/Certifying Agency (no doubt)
The One Letter (X letter) : mystery (random)
The last 13 numbers: possibly your card number in no particular order (uniquely random or randomly unique)
The 2 letters at the end: your dive center/certifying agency's area. AFAIK, it could be country or states. Mine is ID for Indonesia.

But this is some facts
- I saw 8 (eight) Open Water C-Cards of one group of 8 students taking course together, issued in the same day from the same Dive Center by the same instructor. They have the same first 6 digits and last 2 letter.
- Only 2 cards have the same X letter, the other four are different, from A to Z.
- All 8 card's remaining numbers begin with 275 after X. The next digit does not have any pattern: 2, 3, 8, 9, 6.
- One of them, card number 27526... continue his education. A week later got AA card number 27544.... Two days later, a CPR card # 27520... was issued. Then Rescue card # 27586... after 2 days. No pattern in X letter, except the first 6 digits.

So, I agree that this X letter and 13 numbers is just a card number in unique random. Something like a banking or hacking Key Logger. The number does not represent you as a diver number like 5 digits professional diver. But if you sign in to SSI website (SSI :: SSI Scuba Schools International :: take your dive @ diveSSI.com), click Myprofile there is a 6 digits number above you photograph. The same 6 digits number when you go to MyC-Cards (under MY PROFILE). It is written: C-Card Data: YOUR NAME (SSI Diver Number D123456).

So, the mystery is (partially) solved...
04.gif

Kresna

Last edited:
So it is! I wonder why SSI don't print THAT number on the card at all???

So it is! I wonder why SSI don't print THAT number on the card at all???

And I wonder why SSI doesn't reply to this thread at all!!

I hope TDI has a better system.

I just checked my SSI card, it's 10 digits dash AT (for Austria). Just to confuse things some more.

Austria doesn't have nuclear tipped missles so their launch codes aren't as complex?? Just sayin'

Sorry about the reply delay but I just don't troll scuba board too often. As stated earlier, the long numbers on each of the diver-level cards denote the date, issuing dive center, cert level and individual database listing in ODIN to help identify you as that specific "John Smith" in our system. The numbers are different for each card since they remain independent in the system and do not expire.

The card numbers become significantly shorter once you enter the dive professional ranks with SSI - and the one number stays with you for each of your certs. I.e. once you become a SSI dive guide, #12345, you stay #12345 all the way up to (potentially) Instructor Certifier.

Hope that helps understand the numbering a bit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom