Suunto DM4??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..... I just lost 50 dives, with IDC coming up in may I was hoping to have those for my logbook! ....

What do you mean? You can't see them in DM4?

My memory history has 70 dives on it in my d9tx. My Mem logbook has info for about 29 dives. The 29 will load to DM4, the previous dives will not load into DM4. On my old D9 with the Suunto dive manager, I have 200+ dives in history and only 30-40 in log, yet all 200+ will sync or import in off of the d9. So now I have to remember to sync every 20 dives or so to make sure I don't loose any from my log.

yeh my computer has 74 dives on it, but only 1-4 dive logs actually get read and imported to the pc???? why?

nevermind, fixed it by installing suunto dm 3.1 ...

I see Suunto has now stopped responding in this thread as well. I suppose it just got too uncomfortable. Much easier to simply ignore your customers than actually having to answer (or worse, deal with) their problems.

I am getting ready to purchase new gear for my 16 year old son. I have a Cobra and he has an Oceanic Geo 2.0. I was thinking about moving both he and I to a Cobra 3 or maybe Vyper Air, but it looks like I might just leave him with the GEO since it works great and move myself to an Oceanic product. They seem to be moving forward in a positive way.

Bye Bye Suunto.

Quite disappointed with the DM4. I have a vyper. Just got the cable for it, and hooked it up to my mac. It connects, but will not transfer dives.
The odd thing is that MacDive transfers without a hich.
Not impressing!

Well, while we're waiting for Suunto to provide some feedback, allow me to offer some feedback from my side.

Since the launch of this DM4 abomination I have now successfully dissuaded two divers from buying a Suunto dive computer. The most recent was my sister who finally made the decision to buy a dive computer and was considering a Zoop. She asked me for my thoughts on the current models available and the pricing seeing as I have a D4. I explained to her the situation with this DM4 software and that I will most certainly not buy a Suunto product until they've fixed their pile of crap and shown that they actually value their customers' opinions. Seems to have worked and she's now looking at other options.

Let's see what happens next. Will Suunto fix their rubbish and change their attitude first or will another diver ask me for advice on buying a dive computer first. At the rate things are going it looks like I might get to put some more divers off from supporting this arrogant brand.

Come now Suunto, your turn.

I have 2 Suunto Cobra 2's (one for me and one for my daughter). Mine has malfunctioned for the third time, so I had to borrow a computer for my last dive trip (Cobra 3). I have been running DM 2.x because 3.x versions would not run properly on my PCs (stack overflow errors, etc.). Anyway, I have been very happy with v2.x because it works well and keeps track of all the information that I am too lazy to write in a paper log. After returning from my trip, I found out that v2 does not recognize the Cobra 3 so I couldn't import my dives.

I found DM4 on the Suunto site and thought it would be a great time to upgrade the software. Seeing all the info that didn't get imported and all the lost functionality made me search the net to see what I was doing wrong. I found this thread and it confirmed my fears and frustrations.

I'm now using the buggy v3.1 version so I could import the dives from my friend's computer. I doubt Suunto will "fix" my broken Cobra2 out of warranty even though this is the 3rd time that it has malfunctioned in fewer than 200 dives. I have lost a couple dives, including a shark dive that had to be aborted because of this. Prior to the problems, I had been planning on getting a Cobra3 and handing down my Cobra2 to my son.

I honestly doubt that our diving family will own another Suunto computer. I'll look again at the software offering when I'm ready to purchase and that will be a major factor. If it is still DM4 of any flavor, we're definitely moving on to another brand.

A year later, with several apparent version updates, and DM4 STILL lacks the functionality of the previous versions. All the problems have been well documented here, but in case Suunto cares, for me the key missing features that will keep our family from using DM4 and future Suunto products are the lack of being able to separate my dives into categories, the lack of documenting all the items on the local version of the application (buddies, etc.), the inability to import ALL data from the previous versions, the inability to delete more than one dive at a time, the lack of having different diver profiles on the application (we are a FAMILY of divers), and the inability to specify only certain dives to download from a given computer. All these and more are features that have been on ALL the older versions going back YEARS. And “yes” Suunto, THIS IS THAT BIG OF A DEAL-BREAKER!

I haven’t found ONE diver review on ANY dive forum or website who likes the new version. The online community “feature” is a joke. I’m not a runner or biker, I’m a diver. The company is obviously losing customers, both new and formerly loyal ones like our family. They are also losing referal sales. Three of my friends have purchase Suunto computers based on my recommendations. Like others here, I certainly can't recommend them now.

Who's the marketing genius at Suunto? Gee... let’s take away all the features that our customers love and give them ones that they don’t want. And why hasn’t this fiasco been fixed? This is a classic case of company mismanagement and I wouldn’t be surprised if Suunto eventually exits the dive computer marketplace.

Cheers and happy diving,
Greg Smith

Back
Top Bottom