Logging my hours on a dive boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

Just a quick question. If I am on a charter boat or a liveaboard as a recreational diver, can I log that time towards the 360 hours needed for my Captain certification?

No certainly not. You have to be working as crew and gaining experienced recognized by the licensing body... e.g. USCG, CCG, MCA et al.

Where are you getting the 360 hours to become a captain? Are you a US citizen looking for USCG certification. USCG certs are a little tougher than some and not as difficult as some others. I believe OUPV captain starts at 90 DAYS service on a boat... or maybe 360 days. Have you worked on a boat?

No certainly not. You have to be working as crew and gaining experienced recognized by the licensing body... e.g. USCG, CCG, MCA et al.

Where are you getting the 360 hours to become a captain?

Thanks so much Doppler. No where at the moment. Was just wondering if I ever decide to go that route should I be logging my time out on the sea. What you say makes sense.

Google is your friend...

The USCG Operator of Uninspected Passenger Vessels (OUPV/Captain's) License allows the holder to carry up to six paying passengers on uninspected vessels up to 100 gross tons (about 75-90 feet long). These are usually smaller vessels that normally engage in charter fishing, SCUBA diving, or tour cruises. As such, these vessels are limited to six paying passengers plus crew-hence the term "Six-Pack." The OUPV License is issued in three forms: OUPV Inland License, OUPV Great Lakes & Inland and OUPV Near Coastal

oupv-img.jpg
OUPV Inland License: The OUPV Inland license is restricted to operation shoreward of the boundary line, excluding the Great Lakes. This license is valid on uninspected vessels to 100 gross tons.

• This license requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, with 90 of the 360 days occurring in the last three years. Experience gained prior to 15 years of age may not be counted.
  • The OUPV Inland License can be upgraded to an OUPV Near Coastal License once 90 days experience seaward of the boundary line has been achieved.
OUPV Great Lakes & Inland: 360 total with at least 90 days service on the Great Lakes.
OUPV Near Coastal: This license is valid on vessels up to 100 gross tons and out to 100 nautical miles.
The OUPV Near Coastal License also requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, 90 of which must be gained seaward of the boundary line. Ninety of the 360 days must be in the last three years. Experience gained prior to the age of 15 will not be counted.
Note: Sea Service experience can be counted on your own vessel. A Sea Service Form and proof of ownership are required. Experience on other people's vessels can also be counted. In this instance, to verify experience claimed and vessel details, a completed Sea Service Form with the owner's signature must accompany the application.
Additional Requirements Include:

• Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC)
  • Age 18 or over
  • Physical, drug test and eye exam
  • CPR/First Aid training
  • Completion of Mariners Learning System™ USCG-approved OUPV/Six-Pack online course

As I understand it if you present the vessel owner the proper form to sign and serve 8 hrs (4 for OUPV) on board the vessel per day you can count this toward your sea service if the form is signed. So the way I take it is if the owner of a charter boat or live aboard signs saying you served on his/her boat for 8 hrs on the stated days these will count towards your sea service. If you really want to do the time buy your own boat. You will spend 8 hrs aboard regularly, trust me. I have done 8 hrs many times near the dock working on mine. Captain's License - Sea Service Requirement - YouTube Check out 40 second mark. The form, http://uscg.mil/nmc/forms/application/cg719s.pdf says serving as...deckhand, etc... So if your willing to be the etc or deckhand you qualify. Nothing requires them to sign but basically if they will then you can count the days. I personally would visit with the captain ahead of time. Tell them you are working towards your Capt. license and are willing to help on the boat in some manner if they would certify your days. They are required to keep a lookout at all times per Coast Guard regs so at a minimum you could volunteer to do this in return for getting sea days. I see nothing saying you have to be paid. They would appreciate the help and you would appreciate the sea day. Nothing is free but you can count time for your recreational trips if you plan ahead and are willing to pitch in. Again if you own a boat of your own that is the easiest route.
Capt. Bob will probably correct me some as I am his student. I know some qualifying deckhands that have spent countless days at sea but couldn't get to the pass from the dock. Then there are those that don't know the bitter end from athwartship but want to be a captain because they got the hat and t shirt.

Since an Uninspected Passenger Vessel can carry no more than 6 paying passengers, getting that license doesn't help you much when the tonnage gets up above 25 or so. Carrying 6 pax on a 90-foot boat isn't generally profitable. If you have the underway time, go for the regular 100-ton license for inspected vessels, they can carry up to whatever the COI says, generally a whole lot more than 6 pax.

In a way, time on recreational vessels may be easier to count, since you could more easily characterize yourself as a "member of the deck department" handling lines, tiller, etc. You wouldn't get to do this on a commercial boat which has a definite division between crew and paying passengers.

Just one question, ": This license requires at least 360 days of documented experience in the operation of vessels, with 90 of the 360 days occurring in the last three years. Experience gained prior to 15 years of age may not be counted."

Does this mean that time built up when I was 15-17 years old working on a (64.5ft 70ton) boat could be counted toward the 270 hours just not the final 90 hours. correct?

I beleive you can count it if you can get the form signed by the captain or owner of the vessel.As for the 90 days (not hours) I don't think it has to be the final 90days. You just have to have 90 days within the last 3 years in the area you are getting certified for. Another words, as I read it, you could have had zero days on the water 3 years ago then worked for 90 days on a boat offshore. Then fish, play, or spend anytime on a boat for 270 days and still be eligible. As I think I understand it your 90 days dont have to be the last ones of the 360.

Don't buy your own boat. That is a major red flag for the Coast Guard. They do actually check up on many of the sea service forms that are submitted and from what I understand they pull the "I signed myself for my boat" type forms first. For a 6 pack, you need 360 days of service during the last 10 years, 90 day within the last 3 years. For a 25, 50, or 100 ton near coastal license you need 720 days.
Of course you still need to take and pass the tests too before they issue you your license.

hope this helps

There is no satelite following you on your own boat. If you own the boat, you're signing your own ses service form and making the statement it is factual - the same as the owner of another vessel signing for your service. There really is no way for the USCG to verify that data.

Don't buy your own boat. That is a major red flag for the Coast Guard. They do actually check up on many of the sea service forms that are submitted and from what I understand they pull the "I signed myself for my boat" type forms first. For a 6 pack, you need 360 days of service during the last 10 years, 90 day within the last 3 years. For a 25, 50, or 100 ton near coastal license you need 720 days.
Of course you still need to take and pass the tests too before they issue you your license.

hope this helps

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom