Dead Honu at Five Caves / Five Graves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shaka Doug

Contributor
Reaction score
Kihei, Maui, Hawaii 96753, middle of the 808!
# of dives
Aloha....

Does anyone know anything about the dead sea turtle in the cave at Five Caves? It's been there for a while now... at least a couple of weeks. I thought it would have either decomposed or been eaten by worms and scavengers by now but it's taking a long time. It appears that it suffered from the papilloma virus and maybe the entire body was full of the tumors / growths. The site of it is pretty ugly and the shell has broken into many pieces. Some bones are piling up and they resemble moose antlers.

Is it illegal to collect the bones? Would there be any chance of transferring the virus from this dead animal to living turtles (or humans)? Anyone have any thoughts?

Mahalo!

Shaka Doug

Contact your local DAR office - they may want to perform a necroscopy.

What a shame Doug. I found one up at Honolua a few years back. I pulled it up on shore and let the authorities know. Just didn't seem right to leave it down there since it also had tons of tumors on it. So far all I caught was a case of grumpy. But I may have had that going in.

Thanks for the advice Santy. I called just now and gave the info. They say that NOAA may try to follow up on it. Now I guess we just wait to see what happens. This turtle isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

SHAKA!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom