Death at Terrigal - NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mantra I am glad you are not offended by my comments.. I think your heart is in the right place and your concern for the people involved in this rescue is admirable!

Hello everyone. My name is Elena and I am the wife of Sergei who didn't survive the waves. Thanks everyone for your input and support. At the moment there are more investigations being done in regards to the accident and looks like there was not enough oxygen in the tank... One thing I can say for sure - Sergei was the healthiest and fittest person I ever met, he was the one who would always take the safe road regardless of what he was doing in his life. The reasons for his death may be beyond our understanding and I hope we all will remember him as a bright, vibrant, intelligent, talented and beautiful person he was. For me he was everything - the best friend, true husband, the one and only sweetheart for 15 years. I am just the luckiest girl on this planet to have been able to know such a wonderful man. Peace.

I'm not a diver myself, so there isn't much information I can add at this point in regards to the diving accident in Terrigal on March 17, 2012. I am the diver's wife. I know that everyone did their best to save my husband's life and the cause of death is still unknown. What I can say for sure is that diving was his passion and he has spent an anormous amount of time researching the subject of diving safely. His entire library of books and magazines, his equipment of excellent quality, and his willingness to learn more about the proper techniques tell me that my sweetheart took all possible precautions. I hope that in the near future I will have more correct information which hopefully can help the rest of diving community to avoid mistakes. At least I know for sure that Serge loved his life, he lived it to the fullest and will be remembered by his friends and family forever.

Sergei sounds like a remarkable man, Elena, and I'm sure your love for eachother was the best adventure of all for him. My heart goes out to you. I hope you are surrounded by those who love you.

It does sound like he was an amazing man. I am so sorry for your loss. majorkong I wish you peace and solace in your shared memories. The fact that you have come here with such an open and giving heart proves that Sergei also had good judgment in selecting an amazing life partner. We hope that you will find some answers, understanding an peace here. :consolation:

My most heartfelt condolences to the friends and family of the deceased diver. To his dive buddy thank you so much for sharing your heartbreaking story below of a dive having gone terribly wrong. You certainly did everything you could to help your buddy. You actions to raise the alarm meant you had assistance so quickly.
I was not on patrol on that day. My links are as a patrol member at Terrigal SLSC and I am good friends with the patrol members who worked that morning and I have dived Skillion 100+ times and am familiar with the owners at Pro Dive Killarney. To all involved with the rescue and resuscitation efforts of the diver I must say you guys and girls did an outstanding job. The rescue performed in a 1 metre swell onto rocks on the Southern side of Skillion must have been very difficult. Well done to all involved.
To respond to an emergency rescue call within 6 minutes is simply outstanding. The fundamentals of the chain of survival is:
1/ Early rescue (You did this)
2/ Early CPR (You did this)
3/ Early Defibrillation (You did this)
4/ Early advanced medical care (You did this)
Simply put everyone gave the deceased the best opportunity of survival. The fact he did not is not anyone’s fault. It is what it is.
One point to get across is how well North Avoca SLSC, Pro Dive Killarney and Terrigal SLSC worked together. All I can say to that everyone working together offers the best possibility for a positive outcome.
A thought to leave you with is that it is imperative that we all (Divers and SLSC) maintain the open communication channels to ensure when another emergency happens we continue to offer the same high standard of response.
Safe Diving To All.
PS: Pro Dive guys I'm on Patrol Sunday arvo this weeeknd I hope to catch up with you then.

Sergei's funeral will take place on Tuesday, March 27th, at the Erina Simplicity Funerals chapel on Karalta Lane, at 14:30.

Everyone who wants to express respect and say "good-by" to Sergei is more than welcome to come, I know he will appreciate it. It will also help me knowing how many people are planning to attend the funeral and I will be greatful if you would let me know beforehand. My e-mail address is: Elena@AustralianFitness.com; evoropay@yahoo.com.au; phone number: 0405935010; 02-43847701. Feel free to e-mail or call me if you have any questions.

Sergei's funeral will take place on Tuesday, March 27th, at the Erina Simplicity Funerals chapel on Karalta Lane, at 14:30.

Everyone who wants to express respect and say "good-by" to Sergei is more than welcome to come, I know he will appreciate it. It will also help me knowing how many people are planning to attend the funeral and I will be greatful if you would let me know beforehand. My e-mail address is: Elena@AustralianFitness.com; evoropay@yahoo.com.au; phone number: 0405935010; 02-43847701. Feel free to e-mail or call me if you have any questions.

Elena

Heartbroken mate.
Only got home last night from Hay where I was with the fire service helping with the floods.
Mum said you popped into the house & she told me what happened.
Mum and I will be there Tuesday

tracy

Back
Top Bottom