Diving in Oahu & Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys. I have just been checking out Niihau and it looks awesome. Don't know if I can spare the whole day though, as my wife is a non diver. :-(

My wife is a non-diver as well. She got dinner at Roy's after a spa day as an incentive to let me go.

Too bad about timing, stay in touch with them when you're there if you can swing the short notice trip! Well worth it.

I will be on Kauai South Shore from March 18-30 and looking for a buddy for some shore dives. Recreational, not tech.

My boat dives will all be with Bubbles Below. I have been diving with them for many years and they are the best operation I have ever found. Linda, the owner, is a great dive guide and naturalist. They will schedule Niihau if the weather cooperates. It is a two hour open water crossing so they don't attempt it if there is any possibility of rough water.

Halems, thanks for the offer. I'm only in Kauai for a limited time & it is our first trip to Kauai. So on further thought, I think I will only get 1 boat dive in so I don't think I can do any shore dives! Ugh, if only my wife dove - this is driving me crazy! Anyway, I was thinking of seasport or fathom 5. Have a great trip.

Mother nature has her say in the Niihau runs for sure. All the shops on the island are already excited for Niihau season to open but it is usually in April sometime. There are some other fantastic adventure dives on the island though. You can count on some amazing endemic life here and some great topography. Summer swells will not likely have arrived just yet and as long as the rain isn't a factor (lots of rain and runoff currently) south shore diving should be excellent. Koloa Landing is a great spot to dive from shore if time is a factor for you. You can get in there at any point during the day and see fantastic critters. The biggest highlights are the numerous green sea turtles and the rare and beautiful dragon moray eels. If you have specific questions during your decision making please feel free to PM me. Sometimes shop/retail staff don't have all the extensive details that experienced divers are looking for.

A

Aloha Ohana,
Dove with Alan (Vancouverdiver) last week and today.
Last weeks dive, went to Shark's Cove. Poor decision on my part. Vis was less than optimal (read crappy), but we made the best of it.
Dove today at Kahe Point, with a bit of surge and current, but overall not a bad dive.
Whales singing, with the usual marine life for our viewing pleasure.
Had a great time, and would dive with Alan again if he returns.

Attachments

• IMG_4728.jpg
    IMG_4728.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4729.jpg
    IMG_4729.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4731.jpg
    IMG_4731.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_4738.jpg
    IMG_4738.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4739.jpg
    IMG_4739.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4740.jpg
    IMG_4740.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4746.jpg
    IMG_4746.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4750.jpg
    IMG_4750.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 44
Aloha! Hey Charlie, thanks again. It was a lot of fun and I appreciate you pme around Sharks Cove and Kahe Point. It is always interesting diving a new site. Especially enjoyed Kahe Point, good vis, and lots of marine life. Great pics too! Be sure to look me up if you come to VYR.

Back
Top Bottom