centered elbow on torus 17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fr8dawg

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys, I need some help/advice. Got the torus 17 and need some advice on how I should set it up with regards to spacing between the inflator elbow and my first stage. As you can see in the pics, the elbow being centered causes it to contact the first stage. and makes the top of the wing sort of fold down. Not sure if this is a problem, but it seems to put a lot of strain on the elbow itself and the bladder, especially when the wing is fully inflated. I tried setting the tank higher (wing lower), but any higher and I hit my head on the first stage. I have dove it this way for 6 dives dives last weekend, but I am slightly concerned. Anyone have any advice? How do you set yours up? i wish the hose was offset to the left a little! Who vents with the hose anyway? thats what the butt dump is for! Anyway, great backplate and wing nontheless... Heck maybe this isnt even a problem at all, but sitting here looking at my rig and I thought I would post

pics:

you can see the top of the wing "folding" over the top of the backplate due to contact with first stage:

Untitled by flyNdive02, on Flickr

strain on the elbow connection?

wing fully inflated:

Hey guys, I need some help/advice. Got the torus 17 and need some advice on how I should set it up with regards to spacing between the inflator elbow and my first stage.

Anyway, great backplate and wing nontheless... Heck maybe this isnt even a problem at all, but sitting here looking at my rig and I thought I would post

1) Do you dive with your wing fully inflated? I hope not. That would mean your wing is far to small or you are quite over weighted.

2) Has this caused you any problems while diving?

3) Strain on the elbow? Humm, a delrin elbow is going to damaged how?

4) Raise the tank slightly and rotate the first stage more horizontal, you may need to use other ports on the reg.

5) If you are still concerned about this none problem try rotating your cylinder slightly.

Tobin

I'm not worried about the elbow itself, but rather the connection between the elbow and the wings bladder. You're right, I never fully inflate the wing during a dive, but the fact that the elbow doesn't sit very well next to the first stage when it is fully inflated just raised a little concern... Mostly for possible strain between the inflator hose and the wings bladder. Just seems like a possible failure point in the future.

As far as problems while diving, no because i cant SEE it! If I raise the tank any higher, I will hit my head on the first stage. As far as using other ports, i cant. Its making contact mostly with the hp hose and there is only one hp port per side. Anyway, like I said, probably not a big deal, just something that caught my eye and thought I would ask about.

Thank you!

Fr8dawg

Don't worry about that. Mine does it too, but it causes no problem. Unless the wing is inflated all the way the hose elbow will nestle into it's place and be fine. As Tobin suggested, it is a non-issue.

DS

You have the same exact setup as I do! I have a little over 70 dives on the Torus 17 and HOG D1 pairing with no damage caused at the elbow. As it has been mentioned, it will nestle in with no damage. Good luck and have fun diving that rig, I love it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom