Riviera Maya, Cosumel, or Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

agwatts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Girlfriend and I are going to take a vacation and I would like some feedback on the best place to go. Riviera Maya, Cozumel, or Punta Cana.

Thanks

I can speak for the River Maya it is gorgeous. Many good dive ops in the area. We usually stay at The Royal in Playa Del Carmen. There are several ops within walking distance of the resort. I have used Phantom Divers. Had a really great time with them. The only drawback is they deal in cash only the don't take credit cards. Which is one reason I chose them.

I just got back from Playa del Carmen this past weekend and my wife is already planning a trip back.
The current was stronger than I expected, but it was all drift diving, so just relax and go with the flow; water temp was in the high 70s, vis about 40 - 50 ft. I did see a couple of bull sharks andlots of barracuda; the only problem was that I was able to get as much picture taking in as I wanted.
Try the cenotes - it's a "once in a lifetime" experience!

KevinL

Can you recommend a dive shop in the area?

Who did you use?

Thanks.

I just got back from Playa del Carmen this past weekend and my wife is already planning a trip back.
The current was stronger than I expected, but it was all drift diving, so just relax and go with the flow; water temp was in the high 70s, vis about 40 - 50 ft. I did see a couple of bull sharks andlots of barracuda; the only problem was that I was able to get as much picture taking in as I wanted.
Try the cenotes - it's a "once in a lifetime" experience!

KevinL

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:13 PM ----------

How long were the dives - were they set for a certain bottom time? Each individual diver ended ended at 500psi or when the table limit was up? How full were the tanks (PSI?)....just want to make an informed choice for a dive shop.
Thanks.

Can you recommend a dive shop in the area?

Who did you use?

Thanks.

Hello mariacommare. You should check out Scuba10. We are a dive shop located in the heart of Playa Del Carmen on Avenida 10 just a few blocks from the beach. We offer many different types of dives for certified divers as well as a number of PADI certification courses. If you are currently a certified diver you may find diving the local wreck, Mama Viña, interesting as well as diving in the fresh waters of the cenotes that are found no where else in the world but only here in the Riviera Maya. Please let me know if I can provide you with any information about our available dives. You can mix and match dives with us as well. If you are interested in doing a little bit of each just let us know!

You might want to consider an All-Inclusive that caters specifically to divers. Look at the "Invade Cozumel" here on ScubaBoard.

I stayed at Gran Bahia Principe in Akumal, tanks were 30$ including the boat trip to a reef, I remember buying a "pack of 10". Okay overall, I give it a 7/10.

Also, consider this downside - the day you arrive and the day you leave - you might be hit 120 USD$ or more per person.

Example, you airplane "hop" 3 planes to save 100$ per person per ticket, but arrive at 10pm. You paid for that day, times two, in an all-inclusive. The day that check-out, you can still use their services.

Earliest departures are the cheapest - consider a "small" trip on the Friday after work to get to a major airport, that will then get you to your destination early the next day.

Example, leaving from Montreal, saved 400$ per person going on Friday to Dulles Washington Int'l, then taking the 7am flight out to Grand Cayman. We stayed at the Mariott across the airport for 99$ including taxes.
(versus one non-stop flight)

Coming back, we left at 2pm and arrived at around midnight in Montreal a week later on the following Sunday.

As a diver, consider DAN insurance if you haven't already.

*** Arriving EARLY at your vacation destination on a Saturday = Priceless ***
*** Staying in bed LATE on the Sunday that you leave = Priceless ***

(we often get front desk calling us at 11am, sometimes I can talk them into leaving the room at 12)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom