Cenotes in End of June Beginning of July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are interested in a Cenotes trip end of June or beginning of July. Where should we stay? We don't like kids or crowds, and we don't like cheap. Inexpensive is good, cheap isn't. (Even though we aren't spending that much time in the room, I went cheap once in Bonaire and was electrocuted by a lamp.) We don't need a swimming pool, but a nice view of the ocean / jungle / ie not another hotel would be nice. We consider ourselves foodies, but that is not a deal breaker.

Since we want to dive the Cenotes exclusively, would staying closer to Tulum be better?

Our interest is having a DM pick us up at our lodging and take us to the Cenotes. If Nicholas from cenotexperience.com.mx is available we thought to dive with him since he came highly recommended. Other recommendations are appreciated.

Interested in staying 1 week. Arrival and departure dates are very flexible.
Would like to do at least 3 dives a day.

Thank you in advance!
Waterdance

I think staying in Akumal or Tulum would be the best bet for doing cenote dives. There are several guides that are usually recommeded here on Scubaboard. Besides Nicholas, There is Natalie L Gibb who I have personally used and can recommend. She can be reached at nat@diablodivers.com. She lives in Akumal pueblo and could easily pick you up if you stay in Akumal. There are others, but their names escape me at the moment.

Thank you very much for the link and the diving guide recommendation.

Is there anywhere specific you would recommend staying?

I stayed in the La Bahia condos in Akumal right on the beach. No pool, but you have the beach and ocean just a matter of yards from the condos. Also that time of the year is when the turtles are laying eggs, and there could also be some hatchings dependind on exactly when you go. It is a fun experience to be woken up in th ewee hours of the morning to see a laying or hatching of eggs. That is what Akumal is known for.

I'll be in the mainland for a few days in late June to take a cavern course with Natalie. Not sure if I'll be staying in Akumal or not though. I'm having to go as cheap as possible on this portion of my trip.

Akumal Condo Rentals

Last edited:
Peter and I have stayed in Puerto Aventuras on all our trips (except one I made without him). I book a condo through Debbie@diveaventuras.com She has always found us a good place; a one bedroom condo on the beach runs about $150 a night. PA has the advantage of having several restaurants within walking distance, which I like, because it means you can have a drink with dinner and not worry about the Mexican police on the highway.In addition to Natalie, who is an absolute doll, you could also contact jason@essentialdivetraining.com Jason's one of my dive buddies -- he's a delightful, joyful man, and a good and careful diver and guide. He lives in PA, which makes it easy.

So we wouldn't need to rent a car then, correct? For either location?
I don't think so, but depending where you stayed at in Akumal you might want transportation, but it can be done. Of course you have to get from the airport to Akumal or Tulum which can be done in various ways.

You could manage Puerto Aventuras, ocean and cenote diving and probably even ruin tours, without a car. You'd have to figure out how to get there from the airport, though; there are taxis, but it's expensive, and there are buses which aren't a whole lot better.

But a lot of the fun down there is being able to drive from PA to Akumal to have dinner at Lol Ha, looking out over the water; or into Tulum, to enjoy excellent Italian food at LaNave. I don't know if it's worth the cost of a rental car to do those things, but I do enjoy them.

Hello WaterDance. Allow me to recommend taking a look at our website Scuba10. Although we do not have the ability to pick people up at their hotel we can offer transportation to and from the cenotes from the dive shop here in downtown Playa Del Carmen. We offer 2 tank cenote dives from $110 USD. This includes transportaion to and from the cenotes, equipment if you do not travel with your own, all park fees as well as lunch and drinks. The cenote dives are always small groups no larger than 4 persons per guide. Please let us know if you have any questions. Also feel free to contact us via email at diveplayainfo@yahoo.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom