Good Snorkeling In The Playa Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you don't mind going out of the way bit you might enjoy Casa Cenote. It is south of Akumal and a little bit north of the Dreams Tulum resort. I think the area it is in is called Tankah Tres. Casa Cenote Diving only the best spots Divers UnderGround
It gets used by local dive operations for beginning divers because it is shallow, mostly around 15 ft, so it is an ideal depth for snorkeling. Very sheltered and a weak current.
It is a combination of a mangrove lagoon and caverns so there is something for everyone. I have dove and snorkeled there and highly recommend. Mangroves act as nurseries for juvenile fish so you will see lot of small fish just below the surface as well as blue crabs on the bottom. We saw a school of about 50 young tarpon when we were there.
This place is not very well known or very developed. I had to give directions to our taxi driver from Akumal. If you want to change into your bathing suit you have to go into the bushes, seriously, or you can go into the bathroom in the restaurant across the road. I think the entrance fee is 50 pesos and there is someone there who rents snorkel gear if you need it.
If you want more info just ask me.

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some nice areas to take my family snorkeling in the Playa area. I've visited much of the costline from Cancun to Tulum and it's always windy with a lot of wave and surf action. My kids are 8 and 10 so I'm looking for some protected bays or double reefs with water that is calm and offers some decent fish life. I plan on taking them to a couple of cenotes to snorkel, but I think they would enjoy the ocean wildlife more.

I've read great things about the snorkeling in Akumal, but thought it was to windy and rough for most people when I was there a couple of years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PH

You may have other reasons for going to Playa but if snorkeling is your primary goal then consider staying on Cozumel. The western side of the island is protected better from the wind and waves and therefore calmer, plus the shore is mostly a rocky wall giving you 15-20' depth right to the edge.

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some nice areas to take my family snorkeling in the Playa area. I've visited much of the costline from Cancun to Tulum and it's always windy with a lot of wave and surf action. My kids are 8 and 10 so I'm looking for some protected bays or double reefs with water that is calm and offers some decent fish life. I plan on taking them to a couple of cenotes to snorkel, but I think they would enjoy the ocean wildlife more.

I've read great things about the snorkeling in Akumal, but thought it was to windy and rough for most people when I was there a couple of years ago.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
PH

Hello Paradise Hunter. Let me suggest you take a look at our website Scuba10. We can offer you and your family an incredible snorkel experience at Punta Inna. The kids are welcomed and our prices include all equipment and refreshments as well as transportation to and from the reef from our dive shop located in the heart of Playa Del Carmen. You can expect to see a great array of ocean life on the reef which I think especially the kids would love. Also depending on when you plan to visit the area you may want to consider snorkeling with the whale sharks which are the planets largest fish. They are here June through September. Dont let the word shark scare you. The whale sharks are completely peaceful creatures and non-threatening to humans. Please let us know if you have any questions and also feel free to contact us via email at diveplayainfo@yahoo.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom