Man killed by shark in SW (of Western Australia AU)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver257a

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The following text is a portion of the article attributed to KATE BASTIANS, CHRIS MANLY, NATALIE BROWN and AAP, The West Australian
March 31, 2012, 9:41 and which appears on the following webpage - Man killed by shark in SW - The West Australian, assessed 31/03/2012, 4.58 pm (GMT+09:30) -

"Update, 1.30pm: A 33-year-old Vasse man has been killed by a shark while diving south of Bunbury this morning. Police confirmed father and businessman Peter Kurmann, 33, had been diving from a boat with his brother near Stratham Beach, 20km south of Bunbury, at about 9am when he was attacked by the shark. The pair were believed to have been diving 1600m to 1700m offshore. The man’s brother was not harmed. The man’s brother is understood to have dragged him onto the boat before taking him to Port Geographe Marina, east of Busselton. Department of Fisheries regional manager Tony Cappelluti said the victim's brother saw a "dark" object in the water around the time of the attack. "The other diver said he saw an approximately four-metre, dark, shark-like object," Mr Cappelluti said. Rangers have closed Stratham Beach and a Department of Transport boat is patrolling the attack scene. Rangers are in the area informing boat users of the attack. Experts from the Department of Fisheries have launched an investigation, which will include an examination of bite marks on the man’s body. The species of the shark is not yet known. "

Can't even imagine how his brother must feel after being witness to the whole ordeal.

The initial question that pops into my head is: were they spearfishing?

Maybe, WA is the only state where you can spear on scuba. Might be wrong but I think the US guy who was killed by a shark last year in WA was believed to be spearing.

There was also a fatality a week or two ago at south west rocks (fish rock cave i think) that i didn't see reported here

Maybe, WA is the only state where you can spear on scuba. Might be wrong but I think the US guy who was killed by a shark last year in WA was believed to be spearing.

There was also a fatality a week or two ago at south west rocks (fish rock cave i think) that i didn't see reported here

Reports I've seen on the media say they were diving for crayfish. None I've seen so far mention if they were freediving or on SCUBA.

First of all condolences to the family of the late victim. Very sorry to hear about the tragic death.

on the other hand Devon Diver raised a compelling question. In the reports it was clearly mentioned "looking for crayfish etc" or something like that. Im pretty sure it was. Though Im not an expert in spear fishing but I understand once you've collected several speared fishes in your bag, you are increasing the risk of being hunted by the sharks that can sense dead fish/ blood miles away.

Please correct me if Im wrong. These sort of incidents do affect my fear level too as I live in Queensland and I am a novice diver. However I still belive that these great sharks attack only when intimidated or humans have not followed the guidelines on avoiding shark attacks. Such as, diving at dawn or dusk, at the river mouth, diving alone in murky waters or high risk areas, wearing something that attracts shark's attention etc.

There has been no information as to whether he was spearfishing - although some speculation that he was solo diving (one up- one down). Spearing was my first assumption, and it is a common sport in the area but it has not been confirmed either way.
Crayfishing on Scuba in WA is limited to hand catching or looping, methods which should not damage the cray in any way - ie no blood in the water.

What a terrible thing to have happened. I believe this is the fourth shark attack fatality in about seven months over there. At least the state government seems to have avoided the calls for hunting/culling of these animals.

Condolences to this divers family and friends.

I haven't been able to find anything on the net regarding this incident. Could you elaborate? (perhaps in a new thread?)

Last edited:
Yea I only heard about it because we were planning on diving there shortly afterwards and thoughts about whether the police investigation would have the cave closed. This is the only media report i can find on it Fish Rock dive death - Local News - News - General - Macleay Argus

It also popped up recently in an australian dive forum (not sure of rules but probably an infraction to link to another forum - google search pretty easy to find anyways) and it seems the victim was found at the top of the cave above the chimneys.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom