3rd dive and flooded... oly pt-050 help me...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buton

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i am at coz and my camera got flooded today...

for what i see is that the locking mechanism is not putting enough pressure to close the lid.

i cleaned the oring and put grease again and i tested on a bucket and it is still leaking from that corner..

after looking at the pictures(right side the gap is bigger than the left), do you think i can get my xz-1 replaced, obviously this is a manufacturing issue, since it leaked again after cleaning the oring and making sure it wasn't my fault.

IMG_5012.jpg

Ideally, if you bought the housing and camera together you might have a chance. Unless it is obvious there is a manufacturing defect in the housing, most dealers wold look to operator error as the cause. Do you see any deformities in the mating surfaces between the door and case?

I'd send them both to Olympus. If the case is defective they'll probably replace both. Generally, it's a good idea to test the housing empty before putting the camera in it. I use a 2lb soft weight wrapped in soft cloth to approximate the camera weight. It's possible that the camera was installed in the case wrong. If the camera isn't seated properly, so that perhaps the shutter button isn't aligned with the button on the case, etc. the camera can prop the housing open. I would make sure that I was very familiar with the instructions and double checked the camera installation before returning the product.

Not sure what I am looking at from that image, but I used about a dozen of those housings and not seen any issue with the seal. Was this the first time it was used?

It was the third dive , on the picture the lid closes better where the hinge is than were the clamping wheel is located

I well send it to Olympus, let's see what they think. If repair is 300 I will pay for it of not I will see my options .

Sadly, it sounds more like an operator error. This is a zero defect environment, and a tiny little error installing the camera can result it's complete destruction. If you dive long enough, you learn that there are two states for every camera - "Not flooded yet" and "Flooded".

Note: Had the issue been on the first dive, there would have been a 50/50 chance it was something broken, but by the third dive, the odds are really, really small.

I've had a flood, and know how bad that sick feeling in your gut is. I agree with puffer fish as most floods are operator error. Mine was my fault.
im not saying that you did this, but my biggest piece of advice is that if youve had a dive and it didn't flood, do not open that housing unless it is absolutely necessary. The temptation to look at your pics can be overwhelming, but each time you open and then close the housing, you are rolling the dice. Also, do leave it in the rinse tank unattended. This has a way of breaking that seal.
Again, sorry about this. I have felt your pain with a 5d mark 2

I can't tell from the photo where the leak is. I guess it is obvious to you there, but hard to see from the photo. I've never had a leak from several generations of Oly housings over 10 years. I think this housing is well designed, and have not heard of any epidemic failures like with some past ones. I'd send it to Oly for analysis, but I suspect they will rule it operator error. There could be a nick in the O ring or bit of sand that you can't see that can cause a small leak.

Matt, I know that pain also. In 40+ years, I've had two major leaks and 4 minor ones (minor meaning it did not destroy the camera and just got "moist" inside the case.

I could not agree with your comments more, particularly about not opening it. If my battery dies on a boat (not a live aboard), I am done taking pictures for the day.

I've had a case damage a camera (not my fault) and have heard of case designs that leaked, but for the most part, leaks are preventable (not sure it is always operator error). The problem is, that we don't always know what it is we should be paying attention to.

Oh, and I have had roughly the same number of strobe leaks... so my mean time between human failure is something like 150 x 40 = 6,000/6 or once every 1,000 dives I will do something wrong or miss something. Add the strobes in there, and it would be one in every 500 dives. Does not sound too bad, until you are watching it happen.

I've had a flood, and know how bad that sick feeling in your gut is. I agree with puffer fish as most floods are operator error. Mine was my fault.
im not saying that you did this, but my biggest piece of advice is that if youve had a dive and it didn't flood, do not open that housing unless it is absolutely necessary. The temptation to look at your pics can be overwhelming, but each time you open and then close the housing, you are rolling the dice. Also, do leave it in the rinse tank unattended. This has a way of breaking that seal.
Again, sorry about this. I have felt your pain with a 5d mark 2

Flodded my 8080 on the last day of my Thailand trip. I am sure it was operator error, over familiarity, getting careless, in a hurry for breakfast.
Try sending the housing in to be checked,it cannot hurt, but don't hold your breath.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom