Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

288 Lake,

Vis on the east side was very good at 15-20 dept I would guess the vis to be about 15 ft. Below that it gets very bad. Around the boats and school buses its bad. With temp in the low 60s mostly. Lots of small baby fish and one large catfish.

Wednesday 3-28-12 3:00pm
Lake Travis, Mansfield Dam
Divers – paulw
Air Temp - 73
Water Temp 66 (from 0-55ft) 57 (from 55-75ft)
Max Depth - 75'
Vis to 50' - 5 to 10'
Vis 50' to 75' 3' and getting worse at depth
Dive Time - 55 min

The lake is really up, the sailboat is completely under water and the airplane is now at 30'. The temp is up and there were lots of fish moving around. The vis was really nice 5-10' until about 45 or 50' where it started to go down and at 75' it was maybe 2' when I turned. There is a thermocline at 55' where the temp dropped about 10 degrees. Nice dive!

CSSP 3/31/12

Vis: up to 15 feet in spots

My computer logged four temps: 55F@43ft, 59F@31ft, 53F@42ft, 59F@24ft

Thursday 18:30 04/12/2012
Lake Travis, Mansfield Dam
Divers – myself, DK
Air Temp - ? high seventies ?
Water Temp 66 (from 0-35ft) 57 (from 35-60ft)
Max Depth - 65'
Vis to 35' - pea soup
Vis 35' to 65' - really opened up. 5ft at worst, 10-12 at best.
Dive Time - 45 min

Very nice afternoon dive, very obv. thermocline at 35. I suffered in a 5mm, my buddy in a 7mm was totally comfortable. Looked like the good vis continued deeper than 65', but I couldn't get down to check. The Damn prison cages where exposed, have never seen that before. I remember years ago when I first started diving, and I hit a cage for the first time, I thought to myself, wow I'm deep!!
Not sure about water levels, but the BIG DEEP sailing boat was at roughly 50'.

CSSP 4/14 and 4/15 surface 73 below platforms 63 murky barely see from one end of platform to the other. Could not see platform from the surface even before class started.

15 Apr 2012

Two dives w/Lake Travis Scuba.
1) Oasis Wall
Viz was a good bit better than I expected as long as you are in front of the train of 5 AOW student divers. At 65-75' I could see easily 10-12' with my can light. I was really pretty happy with that! Below 80-85 viz was maybe 3-5' without any squirrels in front of me.

2) Shaker Plant
Viz was about the same as at Oasis Wall, although we didn't get as deep. Was very easy to follow the lines and the walls, again, assuming you are first in the line (read: ahead of the class that was on the boat) or following someone w/very good skills. There's a new platform at the site which is pretty big and a couple feet or so above the lake bottom, which should make it pretty good for classes/skill work.

Temp surface: 69
Temp @ 50ffw: 64
Temp @ 95ffw: 57

Canyon Lake, North Park, 13 April 2012
Dove Friday the 13th (uh-oh)
Nice day, overcast, 10mph wind SSE
Air Temp 79
Water Temp was:
75 at the surface
67 at 25'
63 at 50'
61 at 70'

Vis was 20'+ down to a depth of about 20'. Gradually got worse. At 45' was about 8' and at 60+ feet down to about 4-5'
Found, diver, 2 boats, car, and platforms just fine.
No buoys were around on the surface. Two jetskis raced up and down us the entire dive. Several fishing bots too...

Athens Scuba Park - Athens, TX
April 21, 2012

Air Temp: 60-75 throughout the day
Surface Temp: 74
Temp @ 22': 72

Vis: 30' on the first dive, degrading to 20' +/- at the end of the day.

288 Lake - Houston TX
April 21st

Surface Temp 72
Temp at 30' 62
Very sharp thermocline - one was a whitish color and it looked just like it does when you surface. Very weird feeling to go through and still be in the water.

Visibility 10-15 feet away from the classes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom