what would you do? Mk25 or HOG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In case of going with a diaphragm reg I would rather go with an Apeks as you can still get a parts for life program in north america. They are a bit expensive at the start but then it will pay off. Apekses are also much easier to find service and parts for outside of NA.

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 11:15 PM ----------

HOG, I do my own servicing and parts are readily available....They're better made, the ports are more convenient, especially for doubles and they're a lot less....... It's why I switched from Apeks......As far as lds's telling you they don't know or have never heard of HOG, they're lying !!!..They know, they just don't want to loose their monopoly on servicing...They're bound by agreement to only sell certain brands and they don't have divers' best interest in mind....

You will be surprised but here there are not many shops that have seen them.
The parts can be more expensive as shops do not carry them and they need to do a special order. Getting a DS4/XTX50 here can cost almost the same as getting the HOG stuff and after considering the service costs and parts ordering it turns out more expensive :)

I don't get that. They are made in Macon, GA... About 800 miles to the south of you. You could literally drive there in a day if you were determined.

I don't get that. They are made in Macon, GA... About 800 miles to the south of you. You could literally drive there in a day if you were determined.

Jokes aside I did this exercise with my wife before we had our kid. The result was acquiring a Zeagle FHVI. I liked the reg and got 3 more since that. We did a trip to Miami though and it took us 22 hours one way almost non stop switching at the gas stations. I do not think I would repeat that even if they gave me a couple of them for free :D

I would probably do it for a free RAM though.

Hey can you actually get an MK18 in North America ? Looks like a nice reg even with no enviro seal.

Jokes aside I did this exercise with my wife before we had our kid. The result was acquiring a Zeagle FHVI. I liked the reg and got 3 more since that. We did a trip to Miami though and it took us 22 hours one way almost non stop switching at the gas stations. I do not think I would repeat that even if they gave me a couple of them for free :D

I would probably do it for a free RAM though.

Hey can you actually get an MK18 in North America ? Looks like a nice reg even with no enviro seal.

Macon is WAAAY north of Miami... It's like a 15 hour trip for you.

My point is that the manufacturer is a lot closer to you with HOG than Apeks... :) And you wouldn't need a boat to get there. :)

The Mk18? Sure... Why wouldn't you? I mean, if they're still made (and if they're not, there's always eBay), what difference does it make where it's available? My gauges are Suunto... I purchased them in Singapore. Via FedEx. I think they're actually Norwegian or Finnish, come to think of it. My regs were made in the UK... I bought them in Spain. Got them delivered by UPS in two days to South Carolina, USA. My exposure suits are all from Southern California, USA... Even though I've spent very little time in SoCal...

I don't understand the point of saying that it's easier to buy a reg that's further away and on a different continent... As if that even matters anyway.

Macon is WAAAY north of Miami... It's like a 15 hour trip for you.

My point is that the manufacturer is a lot closer to you with HOG than Apeks... :) And you wouldn't need a boat to get there. :)

Oh 15 hours is just around the corner, If there were no cops in NY and PA I would probably even make a round trip in 15 hours... :)

On the other hand, I have one of the best, if not the best Scubapro technician nearby. So in terms of local servive, Mk25 wins hand down here.

I think this says it all. Stick with what you have.

I believe Hog regs are made by Ocean Divers in Taiwan.

Yep, driving 1600 miles with $4/gal gas to have a $250 reg serviced makes perfect sense.

While I applaud Chris for taking a different tack in pricing and parts availability and seemingly trying to market a very fine product, in the grand scheme of scuba equipment, Hog is a tiny company with very minimal worldwide market penetration. But, if I were not heavily invested in other brands, with a reliable source for parts, I would give Hogs a try.

Last edited:
I believe Hog regs are made by Ocean Divers in Taiwan.

Almost all regs are actually made in S.E. Asia... Probably to include ScubaPro and Apeks. HOG may have them built overseas like everyone else, but the company is headquartered and distributes out of Macon, GA, near Atlanta.

Yep, driving 1600 miles with $4/gal gas to have a $250 reg serviced makes perfect sense.

I think you missed the point.

While I applaud Rich for taking a different tack in pricing and parts availability and seemingly trying to market a very fine product, in the grand scheme of scuba equipment, Hog is a tiny company with very minimal worldwide market penetration. But, if I were not heavily invested in other brands, with a reliable source for parts, I would give Hogs a try.

Who is Rich? The owners name is Cedric... And he's a local Southern boy... :)

Almost all regs are actually made in S.E. Asia... Probably to include ScubaPro and Apeks.

I don't believe that is correct. AFAIK Apeks regs are made in UK, Aqualung in France, Mares in Italy, Scubapro may or may not still be made in Italy, Zeagle, Atomic, Sherwood in US, Oceanic was/is made in US.

I think you missed the point.

And that point is...

Who is Rich? The owners name is Cedric... And he's a local Southern boy... :)[/QUOTE

Sorry, I meant to type "Chris".

Last edited:
Almost all regs are actually made in S.E. Asia... Probably to include ScubaPro and Apeks. HOG may have them built overseas like everyone else, but the company is headquartered and distributes out of Macon, GA, near Atlanta.
This is not the case for Apeks. They are made from scratch, at the Apeks factory, Neptune Way, Blackburn, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom, BB1 2BT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom