Hollis Harness Review / Commentary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nick3c

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Has anyone come across any helpful commentary or reviews of the Hollis Solo harness and/or S-25 wing?

I would like to try and find some commentary in advance of an in-water trial in the next month or two. Reason for asking is that I am in the market for my first purchased BCD. My LDS is pushing the Solo as being the bee's knees and giving me an aggressive sales pitch; I haven't been able to find too many comments on it to have an objective view.

As an aside, how does the Hollis HTS compare to the Dive Rite Transpac (which I had been in favour of acquiring)?

Stop!

Don't succumb to the LDS sales pitch before you explore other options. For instance, check out Tobin's systems at Deep Sea Supply. You can even call him and talk to the designer-manafacturer. Also compare the Halcyon systems.

Well the solo harness looks like a HOG harness that has more D-rings added to so they can distance it from the competition charge more money for it. I would purchase a regular HOG harness for half the money and if you really feel you need the two extra D-rings add them and you will only be out another $5.

I've had good luck with the DR Transpac, it's a nice basic platform that easy to customize. I also like the DR vertical release weight pockets, they're narrow enough to provide room for other accessories on the waist belt. Nothing against Hollis, I have no experience with Hollis systems.

I suggest you try out Halcyon gear if possible so you can compare first hand to all others. You may even find some used halcyon gear in the classifieds.

I use the Hollis SS backplate SOLO (one piece webbing) and 38lb S Series wing with an weighted STA (the weight is removable from the STA). I have two trim pockets on the lower cam band when extra weight is needed. I went with the 38lb so I would have plenty of lift for my gear without me wearing it for the boats that require removal.

My inwater review:
I only use the two chest d-rings (one per shoulder) of the four provided, with the shoulder pads all the way back (See DIR setup). I have the backplate pad/pocket to store my 6' SMB and a Dive Rite but pouch attached to the bottom to store my 80lb lift bag. The Hollis webbing is stiffer and the d-ring's are a slightly thicker gauge than the Halcyon. The crotch strap is of softer material which I do not feel through my drysuit.

The Hollis Wing material is slightly stiffer than the Halcyon but very flexible. For Doubles I use the Hollis C-60 wing. I put the Halcyon and Hollis wings on top of each other to compare and they looked like exact sizes with same rear dump placement. The top grommet of both the S38 and C60 match with the halcyon wings (Eclipse and Evolve) grommet placement. The shock cord they provide to retain the inflator is thick and short making it hard to reinsert. Easily replaced with a thinner longer cord for those rare times your not using the rear dump.

Here are pictures of my Hollis single tank setup.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 609
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 558
  • 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 567
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 548
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 552
I have both and I do love them, however I find the retail price of the solo harness a bit excessive ( I got mine used minus shoulder pads, which I don't think are needed anyway) . It is simply a hog harness with an extra set of shoulder D-rings and shoulder pads and hardly warrants the $100+ price tag (In my opinion anyway).

I have the Hollis and the S38 and so far thing its its great, but I haven't had it in the water yet. I will though by the end of the month. The constructions seems really solid. I used regular webbing for the harness so I can't comment on the solo harness.

Ken

I have the Hollis Solo harness, Al back plate, a 25 single wing and a 45 double wing, love it. Other posters have covered the finer points. Things to consider.
1. I bought a Diver Rite Single tank adapter definitely worth the money, fits fine.
2. Because I was using an Al back plate and Al 80 tanks. I bought Dive Rite Clipper Pockets to attach to the Cam bands, to put the extra weight I needed in (2 kg). These are luxury but nice, quick and convenient. You can just put the weights on the cam bands. If your diving a SS back plate and /or steel tanks you probably won't need these.
Happy Easter
Damian

Is it ok if I make reference to DIR rig? :p Anyhow, I took notice of the 2 additional D-Rings and another on the right hip. "Additional" as compared to the recommended with the DIR Hogarth. Can always take them out and use it as spares, *Just because I find DIR rig style makes sense. Can't stow your backup lights properly with the additional chest D's, plus they just make it more tempting to decorate yourself with unnecessary stuff.

I'd just use generics, hard webbing for shoulders and soft crotch straps, 2 bent D's n trigrildes for the chest, 2 more for the crotch and 1 for the left hip. A 3-slot belt buckle (all stainless steel, or 316L to be specific.. not that you can rust out the 304's in your lifetime) and that should be the same thing aint it? sans the LOGO. I swear the LOGO costs more than the entire harness :p but that is just my opinion. I do not see additional benefits from a branded harness.

I have nothing against brands, except the overpricing :p Not sure what kind of "warranty" a brand can put on the webbing though, unless the entire setup with the plates and the wing is bought together; otherwise "your other piece of gear is the cause of the failure of the ones we supplied you" type of complain response will ensue :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom