Look but Don't Touch!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AaronRiot

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First, I was torn as to which section to post this in. I thought basic might be right as a remind to us less experienced folks that just because something seems friendly, it is clearly not....being a wild animal and all. Mods feel free to move it to a more appropriate section :)

[video=youtube;VC8-SLba4VU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC8-SLba4VU[/video]

It gets interesting at about the 3/4 mark.

Personally, as a reptile guy, I have a healthy respect for wild things. This guy is pretty lucky(?) he found a decent surgeon to perform the Frankenstein operation.

People never cease to amaze me...

Eels are about blind.
It is best to just leave them alone.
About the closest I get to feeding them is to drop a small dead Lion Fish in their vicinity and keep on going.
Hand feeding animals in the ocean has a fine tradition of fail.

Chug
Knows better.

I am guessing guy thinks is still "All good" by the end of the video....

This might sound cold, but I'm glad that idiot got what was coming (though I'm glad that he's okay in the end). These are wild animals, this is a wild environment. Wild animals are often unpredictable, especially if they get comfortable with humans or expect something from us. Accident? I'd call it idiocy and a lesson learned.

The "leave everything as you found it rule" is one I follow closely, especially when I bring my camera. That is kind of the unwritten code of scuba diving. We're lucky to be able to have this experience; leave the same experience for other divers as well.

This might sound cold, but I'm glad that idiot got what was coming (though I'm glad that he's okay in the end). These are wild animals, this is a wild environment. Wild animals are often unpredictable, especially if they get comfortable with humans or expect something from us. Accident? I'd call it idiocy and a lesson learned.

The "leave everything as you found it rule" is one I follow closely, especially when I bring my camera. That is kind of the unwritten code of scuba diving. We're lucky to be able to have this experience; leave the same experience for other divers as well.

I probably sound equally as cold, since I have the exact same opinion. I don't even care if he feels it was worth it, since I know that it wasn't.

Good thing for him that scuba certification doesn't include an IQ test as well. Perhaps he will try feeding sharks next and end up with a more extensive transplant. Doubt he could hold his beer can then.

wasn't hard to see that coming special since he was feeding him finger shaped food.

Personally, as a reptile guy, I have a healthy respect for wild things.

As an also reptile guy I can see were your coming from here. What kinds have you had.

Personally this kind of stuff really grinds my gears. Regardless of the fact the eel can inflict some damage, wild creatures should be respected as such and not teased, antagonized, touched, or fed. One should always keep a respectful distance, and if the animal is curious about you and comes closer - you remain neutral and keep your distance.

Anyone who puts their hands/feet/face where it doesn't belong, frankly, will get what they deserve. And no one can plead ignorance. We've all been told not to touch wild animals at some point in our lives.

Lol - "It's all good" coming from a dude wearing a toe where his thumb belongs. Portrait of a fool.

Nothing down there is afraid of you if you are doing the wrong thing they will attack no matter what their size. I was jetting a trench and at one point I kept feeling something hitting my leg, looked back to see a fish about an inch long coming out of its hole trying to bite my leg because I was too close to the hole. Lion fish are also something to give a wide berth to, the poison at the end of those quills will be very painful while at the same time making the effected area go numb. Just made a dive a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of spear fisherman who were ready to kill some lion fish along with whatever else they could catch. Before we got in the water they were showing each other their sheers to use on the lion fish, I was under the impression I was diving with a bunch of hair dressers. One would spear a lion fish and the other four would rush in to cut off the quills, worked OK the first couple of times but the last time two of them got stuck by the quills and we had to call the dive early. One was stuck in the finger and went numb most of the way up her arm, the other was not that bad but clearly more respect should have been given to this animal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom