Dutch Banks question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

philmottrek99and02

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Coming down in May to do some fishing and perhaps bug grabbing. I don't want to run out 20 miles to T grounds in the boat we are bringing. I understand that Dutch Banks is southwest of Perdido Pass. Anyone got a good coord for center of mass for the banks or a couple of coords? Is there any relief or structure existing?

I understand there is no season for slippers; just don't take the egg bearing fems.

The problem with the Dutch Banks is that they are relatively shallow, and closer to shore, so you're going to have them constantly covered and uncovered with sands. More than once I've seen something that looks INCREDIBLE on the side-scan, only to find that the limestone is buried beneath a foot of sand. You can still find 12 to 14 inches of relief here and there, but you end up spending all day doing exploratory dives, and still no bugs.

I've done perhaps 30 dives on the banks, but I've never found a bug there. I've been told that they were all washed offshore by one of the Hurricanes, but I honestly can't tell you. I find all my bugs on metal, usually sunken vessels. There's one non-metal vessel I've found bugs on, but I'm not telling you about it
03.gif
I'm also pretty sure (but not certain without checking) that the banks are in Florida state waters, which means you better have a Florida license if you are in possession of fish, or plan to bring a gun.

The Trysler grounds are your best bet for lobster (spiny and shovel), but you'll run into the same problem (buried limestone) if you're trying to dive unconfirmed numbers. No one wants to share numbers because it takes work to find the decent spots... you may have better luck than me.

If I were you, and looking for bugs, I'd hit the closest of the two liberty ships (out of Perdido Pass) first. I've had good luck there. If you're newer to spearfishing/lobster hunting, then don't take a gun, just a light, and a small bag for bugs. You'll basically want to pretend you're doing a survey of the wreck. Look especially hard where two pieces of metal join, like support ribs, beams, etc. Go slow, relax, and watch your gas supply. A guy died hunting lobster in Pensacola last year because he was focused more on lobster than on his gauges, and ran out of air. Another diver died last year South of Gulf Shores while spearfishing (probably OOA too, but I don't think they ever found his body).

Anyway, once you spot a bug, snatch that bad-boy up. Don't be afraid of being too rough. They're tough little critters, and if you baby them, they'll tail off into the deep, and you may or may not get a second shot. Once you have control, immediately check for eggs, and then release or bag as appropriate. The bugs are always there. Most divers just miss them because they get in a hurry, or their attention is divided... or, the bugs are just hiding in spots you can't get to :D

If you strike out, you can always console yourself with some Pepper Shrimp at Shipp's Harbor Grill in Orange Beach :eyebrow:

Mmmmmmmm Pepper Shrimp...........

Agreed. I've had good luck on the YDT's and other shipwrecks for slipper lobster. Never saw one on the Dutch banks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom