Anilao, Balicasag, Dauin, Apo Island - good variety for novice divers/snorkelers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
We've now got 4 people total going on this trip. 3 divers with OW but not AOW (and don't plan to get AOW) certification. One snorkeler thinking about joining us now too.

We need to go to places that can keep the snorkeler entertained but the divers want to experience the best PI has to offer at our diving level (barring Tubattaha since we've accepted we don't have time for that). We also need variety in our diving (meaning one place doesn't have to have is all but we want to go the best muck diving site, best macro, see sharks and larger sealife at at least one site, some sites with fantastic fish and coral, etc).

We've got 3 weeks in PI (discluding international flight to/from PI). We will also be visiting Banaue/Sagada and doing a Tao Philippines 5 day tour in Palawan so that probably eats up half of our 3 weeks.

1. Would Anilao, Balicasag, Dauin (particularly car wreck), and Apo Island be the best combination for what we are looking for at our OW experience level?

2. Where should we base ourselves (we are open to staying in more than one location) or maybe an island hopping tour could get us to all the sites we are interested in?

3. Can the snorkeler go on the same boat as us or will he have to take a separate boat in order to not be limited in his snorkeling too badly by us.

Thanks.

Last edited:
The whalesharks at Oslob(Cebu island) has got everyone talking. Both snorkeler and diver are welcomed to join in. I believe all the operators at Dumaguete(Dauin) will arrange trip to Oslob.
1. Anilao and Puerto Galera.
2. Bohol, Dumaguete with side trip to Apo Island and Oslob. Snorkeler is allowed for the trip to Balicasag with the diver.
3. I would NOT suggest Malapascua for OW divers. Even though the sighting of Thrasher and White tips sharks are highly probable.

Haven't been to Anilao (went to PG instead), but have been everywhere else you mention.

If you only have 10 days like you suggest I would pick 2 places and run with that. Travel really chews up your time in the PH allow atleast a day for getting to each destination then a day to leave and go to the next. The processes whether at a Ferry terminal or Airports is so slow compared to what you expect in a western airport you'll go nuts (you'll learn to accept it), also be prepared for excess baggage charges.

Suggestions for 10 days would be :
Manila - Dauin (day trip Apo)- Bohol/Balicasag Fly-Ferry-Fly
Manila- Cebu(Malapascua)-Bohol or Dauin Fly/Ferry/Fly
Anilao doesn't fit well with the travel to your other destinations.

Balicasag- GREAT diving. We didn't stay at Alona ( we did overnight but not for most of the time) we stayed at the government resort on the Island (google it - we stayed there twice on two separate trips). Great dive shop, nice neat place we loved it. Snorkelers will not be disappointed if you stay at the resort you can snorkel out front. If you travel out of Alona (on Bohol) the snorkelers will be at the whim of where the divers go possibly not that good.

Duamaguete - Great we stayed at Liquid, it's laid back and a neat little place highly recommend for chilled out divers. If your a bit more high maintenance need Air Con and all the mod cons look at Mike's or somewhere like that. I enjoyed Liquid. Car's is 24m so technically too deep for OW, but the muck diving in the vicinity is great, empty sand is full of little critters for those who look. I believe all the operators on Dauin have just boycotted the Oslob ( just hot off Facebook) whale shark tours until the Oslob operators get some serious environmental rules going to protect the sharks. I was there 6 weeks ago and it made me want to cry, it is a total circus. I wish I never went, if I see whale sharks that's not how I want to see them. Apo wasn't as good as Balicasag or Siquijour in my opinion but that's just my opinion. All the operators out of Dauin do Apo trips so you can get there no problem on a day trip. I don't think it's really a place for snorkeling. Consider Siquijour and somewhere like Coco Beach resort. You can snorkel, great diving, Apo and Oslob trips available. The resort is awesome to if you like resorts (we prefer smaller places).

Malapascua I disagree with Centrals. There is lots of good diving there even at W level, Gato, Bantigue,Light House, Lapu Lapu you wont be bored with the diving. It's chilled (it's not for tourists who don't dive it's for divers who love diving and beautiful places). It's more snorkel friendly than Dauin. We've dived with Evolution several times, it's our favorite place in Philippines. The owners (Matt and Dave Matt_Reed and Muck Savage here on SB) will sort you out or if they haven't got what you need point you in the right direction of someone who does.

Suggested travel : Manila- Anilao (car/bus 2 hours)-Manila- (fly) Duamagete/Dauin- day trip Apo- Duamaguete (ferry to Bohol 2 hours) - fly Bohol (Taglibarin) to Manila..

Better option Manila Fly to Cebu- Cebu Malapascua (car 4 hours ($25 each)) 1 hour boat to Malapascua, back to Cebu ferry to Duamagete (5 hours) 20 min in tricycle to Dauin. Duamagute to Bohol 2 hours on a ferry. Fly Bohol to Manila.

Devon Diver is Philippine based and will be able to help with suggestions to.

Hope this helps good luck!

Thanks a lot both of you for the help. Good news. The snorkeler is either going to get his OW cert. or fly home before we hit the Visayas :). I'm thinking I don't have time for Anilao or Malascalpua. I'm skipping whale sharks - we'll all have seen then and love them but can see them in Mexico again more easily if we want (with no controversy). I wrote my rough itinerary below. What do you guys think?

Also, Apo Reef isn't suitable for beginners - is that right? Otherwise, we'd do a daytrip from Coron.

I'm still wondering if as beginner divers, we'd get better diving going to Anilao and Puerto Galera. I'm afraid even though the other places are more reknown, what we can get to with our experience won't be as good as what we can see in Anilao/PG.

ITINERARY

Day 1 (night Manila) – Fly Pdx to Manila

Day 2 (night Coron) – Fly to Coron , spend day there.

Day 3 (night Coron) – Spend day in Coron area.

Day 4 to 8 (3 night island hop and 1 night El Nido) – Tao Philippines (from Coron, arrive at El Nido at 5 PM on last day)

Day 9 (night PP) – Drive to PP and see underground river

Day 10 (night Banuae) – Fly to Manila, drive to Banaue (private tour guide)

Day 11 (night Batad) – Banaue/batad

Day 12 (night Sagada) – batad/Sagada

Day 13 (night Sagada) – Sagada

Day 14 (night Manila) – Drive to Manila

Day 15 (night Dauin) –Fly to Duamagete/Dauin, dive dauin

Day 16 (night Dauin) – Dive Siquijour

Day 17 (night Dauin) – Dive apo island

Day 18 (night Beliscag) - Ferry to bohol , beliscag, snorkel

Day 19 (night bohol) –Dive beliscag

Day 20 (night bohol) – Dive bohol

Day 21 (night bohol) – chocolate hills, tarsiers

Day 22 – fly Cebu, fly home

Busy but at least you've factored travel time! Are you hiring a car and driving yourself, hiring a driver? If your used to Asia and the traffic here you'll be fine, if you haven't you'll be in for an adventure! I would email ahead of your accommodation in Dauin (and other places if required) to make sure that they have a Apo, Siquijour trips organised for the days your there. Places may only schedule one or 2 trips a week depending on demand.

You have allocated less than 6 days to cover Dumaguete, Apo Island, Siquijor and Bohol for diving.
Are you sure the dive operator in Dumaguete will arrange day trip to Siquijor? Alternatively, you can use the public fast craft to the Island of Witches under an hr. Check the boat schedule(Ocean Jet and Weesam).
1. Anilao and PG
2. Bohol and Dumaguete etc
Toss the coin!!!

It's about 6 days for Dumaguete, Apo Island, Siquijor, and Bohol. Is that really that terrible? I was looking at how many dive sites are good for beginners and it didn't seem like all that many so assumed could finish faster than AW.

I think I have enough info for now. Thanks guys for your help. Especially that comment about dive companyies maybe only scheduling 2 trips a week to Apo and Siquijour. It's tips like that that can save vacations.

I'll check with the dive companies. They should be able to give me a good feel on whether the 6 days is enough for me. If its not, I'll have cut down on the number of places I'm going.

And i never drive myself on foreign vacations. thanks for asking though.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom