Bonne Terre and the Lead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Plane Trouble

Registered
Reaction score
This may be just a really dumb question to ask but, I was considering going on a little diving excursion to Bonne Terre. However one thing always comes to mind when thinking of the place... Its a Lead mine... and Lead "no be good for you"... Does anyone know how this works there? I'd assume the lead concentrations in the water are probably not at dangerous levels, but how?

Lead doesn't come out of the mine in pure form. It's chemically bonded in various mineral deposits. The minerals that contain lead aren't water soluble. The water is non-toxic and drunk by the locals from wells all over that area.

it will be a problem if you drink all the water

Lead doesn't come out of the mine in pure form. It's chemically bonded in various mineral deposits. The minerals that contain lead aren't water soluble. The water is non-toxic and drunk by the locals from wells all over that area.

Have you seen the locals??? J/K - Couldn't resist...

The lead has to be extracted from Galena ore: it is not free. They do continual checks of water purity and lead has never been detected in the analysis.

I was wondering the same thing after coming across their website while looking for "different" dives.

So long as you don't chew the window sills while you're down there you will be fine. :p The amount that leaches yearly is most likely negligible... and even then you would probably have to become a permanent buoy in the mine in order to be affected...

The nearby off road riding area is plastered with warning signs about the lead danger from the mine debris and offers rinsing stations to clean the lead containing dust from your vehicles and gear. You can obtain a map of the area from the rangers which indicates the areas of greatest danger.

Maybe the mine is cleaner?

---------- Post added April 21st, 2012 at 01:04 PM ----------

On the other hand.....have you ever used soft weights? And looked at the little cloud of lead oxide which streams off the bag when you enter the water?

Back
Top Bottom