A somewhat sad conversation last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, at least KFC is only claiming to do chicken right, DIR seems to imply that it is doing everything right :)

Perhaps it should be shortened to DR, meaning Dive Rite. Oh wait, that one is already taken. Does this mean my Halcyon wing is wrong?

Well, at least KFC is only claiming to do chicken right, DIR seems to imply that it is doing everything right :)

Perhaps it should be shortened to DR, meaning Dive Rite. Oh wait, that one is already taken. Does this mean my Halcyon wing is wrong?

And they don't make fun of grandma's fried chicken.

I never said I wasn't an elitist snob... I have the tshirt, and I know the handshake, but if I spoke in code, no one would know that I'm better than them :p

Dammit man! I am trying to throw them off the trail! :)

The real reason I sidemount is so that people will not know that I am undercover DIR.

everyone seems to be throwing around the "elitist snob" term, I am starting to think that IS code :)

Maybe it is. Maybe it isn't. Hmmmmmm

There are many names I use to describe how I personally dive. Hogartian is usually the first, and Team Diving has it's place right at the top. I do not use the term DIR ever. I always try to be there to help people, so call me what you want, it won't hurt my feelings.
*SNIP* Insert funny post here

OK, That was funny. At first I was like "whoa" then I was all like "WHOA!!!" :) I see what you did there.

In short, yes it's wrong. As are my Halcyon wings (I have 2), and jet fins. I always want to do things right, so in my backmount gear I look the DIR role, in my SM gear I bought a bunch of Dive Rite stuff, regs, fins, mask, SPGs, etc. So either damn way I am always right! END THREAD. :)

Last edited:
now I have to go out and buy all new gear after spending thousands on DIR gear. Man, this stuff changes faster that computer technology.

Well, only if you want to be 100% right 100% of the time two different ways.

*on a side and somewhat related note, why the heck isn't my status showing up? can anyone else see it?* Edit - disregard. this board is doing some screwy butt stuff.

Honestly, I was terrified of GUE divers/instructors from impressions gained on scubaboard. GUE seemed some exclusive clique that I could never measure up to, and the training very far out of my league.

I watched GUE videos and certainly wanted the skill and control in the water. Finally, curiosity conquered apprehension. I pushed through all the prejudice of the board and found myself in Fundies and then beyond.

It took many kind, knowledgeable and helpful GUE members and instructors to erase the early negative impressions from Scubaboard.

Sure, people are people and there are a few jerks everywhere - but 95% of the hundreds of DIR members I've met have been incredibly helpful and friendly!

I am not DIR and I do not know what GUE is, but I will after I am done reading this thread!!! I look up to DIR divers, what's wrong with backing up your backup with a backup? If I am looking at a piece of equipment on a DIR diver, I know they have done their research and then begin mine! I recently received excellent advice from a DIR diver who is part of this thread, and gave me very specific info on a purchase I want to make. The diver helped me eliminate some choices and narrowed it down for me. I have never thought DIR divers are snobs or any other such negative thoughts. Shoot, two DIR's took me on my first scooter dive last summer!!! No, it wasn't a deco dive, it was in fresh water with our usual crappy 10-15 foot viz. Did I feel a little under-geared, maybe, but they gave me insightful advice and it was a pleasure to be in their company. I wish I could go tek, but cannot. So if I am staring at you, it is because I have a quest for knowledge and revere your diving skills!!!!

Personally, I am still trying to pass Fundies because I float out of the bouyancy window when I do some of the drills, especially the S-drill. I think of myself as a beginner trying to get a grip on the basics. So I don't have the card or the secret handshake.:D Yet.

I did a guided dive last Saturday to a small wreck, and I noticed that the visibility wasn't bad when we first arrived, but it quickly deteriorated to almost nothing in a big cloud of silt.

I found myself thinking snobby elitist thoughts:shakehead:, because the other people, including the DM, did not seem to have a clue how to keep that from happening.

I know lots of non-DIR divers who are not clueless. But since I learned proper hovering and fin kicks though GUE, I associate that training with keeping the silt where it belongs, on the bottom. And my second thought is, if I'm a beginner trying to get a grip on the basics, what does that make them, including the DM standing on the wreck?

I didn't say anything, so as not to be insulting to anyone. But the strangest comment came from the DM, when I mentioned later that I did the guided dive because I don't have a regular buddy, was looking for buddies, and guided dives are an easy way to dive more. He told me that I swim very well, and the only person that he knew that would be a suitable dive buddy for me was "XXX". I happen to know "XXX", and he is the only Fundies graduate that regularly is around that dive center, and works there as a DM.

What was so interesting about the comment is that I never said that I would only dive with someone on a particular level or style, however he made that assumption! In reality, I will dive with anyone who isn't an accident waiting to happen type!

I love all the folks shooting the messengers.

Way to help your cause.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom