What is the best wide-angle lens for Canon S95+WP-DC38

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That lens has a 130 field of view and a dome port the Inon needs an add on dome port and as is would only give you 100 degrees
I guess it depends on the service you can get from Dyron
You will also need a 67mm adapter for the housing
In general 67 threads are a pain to operate underwater as you have to screw and unscrew half kg of lens if you ever have macro and wide angle on the same dive

The specification of this lens is quite impressive and the price was interesting. The Inon lens with a dome can set you back around 1000 euros.
I know that screwing on a lens underwater with all the rig one has can be a big pain. I'll see what kind of price they will propose to me.
However, what is your idea about optical quality difference between Inon and Dyron. Bluewater Photo are quite enthusiastic about the Dyron.

I have not tried the lenses myself as I have had Inon for a long time. I have the whole AD series and also an UWL-100M67 that I use on my compact video rig. I bought it for the future dome option however for video to be honest domes are not a good idea as there is too much barrel effect and a flat port is adequate

For Dyron lenses some shops such as cameras underwater here in UK and reefphoto in US do not stock them, a guy at the CU shop in London told me once they had rust issues and discontinued everything
However Scott from Bluewater photo is a legend and if he says those are good then they should be
My only experience with Dyron is the AD adapter for the recsea that works beautifully, I also have to say that when I dealt with Christel to get the adapter shipped to UK the service was superb

Some people say that Dyron are much softer at corner than Inon but again this is just rumours

The thing is if you get an M67 adapter on this housing for example the Dyron one you have many lenses to choose from including Epoque that is good value for money

But for stills a fish eye is the way to go and it is true that the Inon combo is extremely expensive so if you get to check the Dyron and you are happy with it then off you go

I just tested new lens that is very wide and very sharp with the Canon and Ikelite housings for the S95 and S100.
Bluewater WA-110 wide-angle lens | Bluewater Photo & Video

The Dyron 14mm is now discontinued, it was a small, wide lens with a dome, but the corners were often blurry in many samples.

Scott

Scott did you get that made? I guess it is an M67 mount?
Personally I would go for a bayonet mount though as those lenses are over half kg weight and 400 grams in water

Last edited:
tempted to pick this up...

I just tested new lens that is very wide and very sharp with the Canon and Ikelite housings for the S95 and S100.

The Dyron 14mm is now discontinued, it was a small, wide lens with a dome, but the corners were often blurry in many samples.

Scott

Hi Scott,
could you give any more details about the lens? Is it all optical glass? Or any parts of it are plastic like in other lenses (like Dyron 14 mm or H2O Tools UWL-04). Tee mount is 67 mm?
By the way, why you don't reply to the emails sent to your store?

---------- Post added April 19th, 2012 at 03:16 PM ----------

I have received a reply from Christel from Dyron, they still have some 14 mm lenses in their store now. They discontinue them, because they want to switch to optical glass completely. But when you consider, that this lens is discontinued and it has a polycarbonate dome and you need to add the VAT when you order it fro EU, suddenly it becomes a bit expensive even when it is compared to the Inon.

How would you say that this compares to the Olympus PTWC-01; is it wider? is it as sharp in the edges? is there any vignetting?

Would like something that doesn't weigh as much as my PTWC-01, but it is such an awesome wet-lens if you are not looking for a dome lens.

Hopefully, mine is here soon and I can offer the "layman" input sometime soon :wink:

The Canon housing is not designed to host a 67mm Thread lens. All those lenses are extremely heavy in water around 350-400 grams. This means that to mount a 67mm adapter you will first need to make the lens neutral using a home made float or a modified Stix float belt (am working on one of those I will post pictures soon)
If you are not into all of that and have a canon housing the safest choice is to get an Inon LD adapter and lens. Inon lenses are top quality and are super sharp. If you scratch them you can later on repair them and replace front or back and you are back at a completely new lens
If you are not into DIY get an Inon set up

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom