Three divers lose their lives at Chac Mool in Riviera Maya. 2 Brazillian, 1 Spaniard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The local diving community was shocked and extremely saddened to hear this news this morning. From what I've heard from part of the rescue team was that they were indeed on a "Cave" line and it is believed they were on that line by mistake. This is causing major ripples in the cave diving community as accidents with guided "Cavern" dives are not common at all!! I believe they are calling for a general meeting for local cavern guides on Monday to decide what action needs to be taken to prevent this type of accident from happening at all. Prayers go out to the divers and families involved.

I am not a cave diver, but the final whereabouts of the divers should be of interest. Unless bad gas is in play, the guide most probably succumbed attempting to save the other divers...

I can say this is a bad news.as a cave diver I can say this:acourding to the time they enter at the cenote the daylight was minimum; the group may get disorientated to recognized the exit. my second teory: is not a skull and crossbones near to the cavernline!!!!!

---------- Post added April 20th, 2012 at 05:39 PM ----------

i can say this is a bad news.as a cave diver i can say this:acourding to the time they enter at the cenote the daylight was minimum; the group may get disorientated to recognized the exit. My second teory: Is not a skull and crossbones near to the cavernline!!!!!
r.i.p.

I don't know the cenote, but from videos of YouTube, the cavern part seems small then there's cave. On some videos you can see divers with the rental gear going into the cave part of the "cavern". I think when you go into cave you have a lot of back up gear this doesn't show on many YouTube videos..

Sad for the guys and the families... My condolences..

This was on Cavediver:

<<Steve Gerrard posted this on facebook :

On Thursday, April 19th, 2012 a cavern tour dive guide from the Akumal Dive Shop - Ismael García Manzanares took two customers &#8211; a male and female couple from the Country of Brazil into the upstream cavern zone at approximately 4:00 P.M. They swam beyond the cavern line area to the upstream gold line cave diving line to tour the first &#8220;pretty&#8221; room that exists 100 feet + beyond the safe cavern zone. Apparently, they became disoriented and swam further into the cave area and ran out of air, though the female had 500 psi remaining. The bodies were located and recovered by a cave diving Instructor of the Protec dive store facility located in Playa Del Carmen. The Akumal Dive Shop is a member of APSA.

Though there was a heart attack victim during a cavern tour dive in Cenote Taj Mahal a year ago, this accident represents the first fatalities to occur directly from human error in the Riviera Maya under the APSA cenote diving program since it began in the late 1990&#8217;s. APSA is the Riviera Maya&#8217;s Association of Dive and Water Sports Operators&#8230; Asociasion de Prestadores de Servicios Acuaticos A.C. Playa del Carmen, México. >>

I asked a Mexican contact I have there if he has more info. Sad news indeed.

If bad air, again, when will the authorities start doing something about it?

Last edited:
I asked a Mexican contact I have there if he has more info. Sad news indeed.

If bad air, again, when will the authorities start doing something about it?

Lets not start speculating about bad air. I know you say "If", but lets not go down that slippery slope. If there is some evidence then we should know. If not, then I don't think it helps to speculate.

Lets not start speculating about bad air. I know you say "If", but lets not go down that slippery slope. If there is some evidence then we should know. If not, then I don't think it helps to speculate.

Amen, although your words are probably just being wasted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom