Coming out of retirement (from diving)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My wife became gravely ill back in 2006 just after moving to Austin so I `retired` from diving. I went from being an addicted diver ( both real and cyber ) to giving away all of my gear. It tooks years to stop thinking about diving all the time but it finally all went away. Other then 10 dives I logged back in 2010 whilst in Jamaica, I've been dry as a bone.

So anyways, I live in Cedar Park some 15 minutes from the Oasis and I think it's time to get back in the game. Since I gave away all of my gear, I get to rethink all of my equipment choices without worrying about the extra cost because, well, I don't have anything anymore anyways.

Looking for buddies and advice on local diving and anything you feel like sharing with me.

How the hell you doin? It's been a long, long time since I have seen you on the Board. Welcome back!

charpai, dude I don't know you.....but I pray you do reenter diving. You said nothing regarding your wife (no need to--your business),,but I will as our LORD to bless her regardless of her status.
Good luck , I know the LORD will open doors for you , to allow you back active in the sport.

Welcome back to the Swamp chrpai. I live in Anderson Mill, so not too far from you. I dive recreational and Technical diving, so if I can help, let me know.
Ron

+1 to what TexDiveGuy said.

"Since I gave away all of my gear, I get to rethink all of my equipment choices without worrying about the extra cost because, well, I don't have anything anymore anyways."

Given you're (re)entering the sport with a much great experience base than newbies, it'll be interesting to see what choices you make. Three big ones come to mind:

1.) BCD - Jacket, Sidemount or Wing? Do you do Doubles?

2.) Dive Computer - are you a wrist or console man?

3.) Are you strictly a recreational diver, or does your gear need to be usable in tech, too?

Richard.

Thanks all. My wife had cancer but has been clean for 5 years now!!!

Trying to think what to write here.... I was, am, probably always will be, a recreational diver. With what I've been through and two little ones to take care of, I just don't see myself going tech. However, I do see the importance of being a good diver and a good buddy.

For my BCD, I used to dive a basic (stab) jacket style BC. I find myself very interested in a BP/W but I've never really given much though to side mounting. I read NetDoc's review of the Zeagle Express Tech BCD and it seems like a better choice then I had made before. I'd want to spend some time making buddies and getting good advice in selecting and tweaking the rig / webbing / attachments for my dive needs.

I used to have a Suunto Mosquito. In fact, I might still have it around. But I don't know, it was nice being able to "wear" my dive computer but I think I regret it now. Just too much risk of damaging or losing it. I'm thinking my next computer might console mounted and possibly air integrated. Nitrox is a must. Really though, I have no idea how much has changed on computers in the last 6 years so I don't know what I'd get. Maybe just a bottom timer for now.

I'd like to a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins. I never liked how soft my twin jets were. Also I'd like to know what people reccomend for exposure protection around here. 5mm, 7mm, dry?

I'm looking forward in making good friends and cleaning up my diving.

Here's a thread that shows why I am interested in sidemount diving. If you get over an hour on an 80 cf aluminum 'dive resort' tank and go on Caribbean trips such as to Bonaire, then this may not interest you. If, on the other hand, you tend to run out of air/nitrox earlier than you'd like, and want to extend your dives, without having to use 2 dedicated tanks bound by a manifold, but rather just grab a couple of the resort 80's while you're there, well, sidemount has some benefits. I just learned somebody teaches it at my local quarry in southwestern KY, and in the thread, someone pointed me to a DiveRite product that for ~ $31 shipped will let me attach a 2'nd reg. to a 2'nd tank & take it down with me.

For an air-integrated nitrox-capable computer, 3 you might consider are the Oceanic VT4 (wrist, not wrist watch), Atom 3.0 (wrist watch) and ProPlus 2.1 (console). I'm not endorsing Oceanic as superior; just naming models from a brand I know a little. The 1'rst 2 use a wireless transmitter.

Better yet, I went to the Atomic Aquatics Cobalt. The interface is mostly a dream come true in ease-of-use. Love this thing. You do pay for the privilege, though. And it's not a tec. diving computer.

Richard.

Well, I doubt I'll have any need for SM anytime soon. Either way, what I really need right now is to make some connections and start picking peoples brains on the local dive scene here in Austin. If anyone wants to PM me with their personal opinions, that would be great! One thing I'd like to know is peoples opinions of various LDS's and where I'd be best going to or avoiding.

Welcome back to diving chrpai. My sister lives in Cedar Park, but will be moving to the other side of Austin once her house is built. If I go and visit her before she moves maybe we can hook up for a dive.

I have some questions for my ATX/CTX swampers..

1) What exposure protection do you own and use? Assuming I was happy with something like April to Oct / Nov dive season, what would be a good choice? 5mm?

2) I see someone selling a used Faber 95 here in Austin. Think I could get by with one tank? What would you think of that choice?

3) I'm thinking about getting a Zeagle Express Tech. Seems like a nice streamlined back inflate hybrid-BP/W solution. Anyone dive one? Any better suggestions? (I like the price of this also.)

4) Anyone or know of anyone with good quality gear for sale used? I'm finding Craigslist is all crap gear. I'm especially looking for a decent reg set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom