50# vs 58# Doubles Wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Firstly, i've got zero experience in doubles, so please forgive me if this is a stupid question. I'm currently looking into buying my first doubles wing. Already ordered the second 1st stage.

It's obvious that these two wings are of a different design - the 50# appears to be a donut design while the 58# is the horse-shoe.

Has anyone however dived both, and can you comment on the actual difference in diving them?

Where I live people pretty much dive steels exclusively, however I also travel regularly to the pacific islands where it's mostly AL80's and larger.

Any advice, input, comments, thoughts etc appreciated.

I like donut shaped wings vs. horseshoe shaped. I also like smaller wings so I would go with the smaller wing. There are other factors like are you carrying multiple stage bottles or double 130's.

What is your reason for diving doubles? If its cause others do maybe stick with singles. If your diving rec skip doubles. If you going Tech and deco than doubles may be in your future.

I find both of the hog offerings to be inadequate. I have the 58# horseshoe wing. That provides adequate lift for my kit but is suboptimal in its shape (my opinion). The 50# wing has the shape I prefer but has inadequate lift for my application. Chris keeps coming out with new equipment every few months so I have to believe that he'll have more options eventually. I'm making the horseshoe work for now, but I'd prefer the donut.

What is your reason for diving doubles? If its cause others do maybe stick with singles. If your diving rec skip doubles. If you going Tech and deco than doubles may be in your future.

Thanks. My long term plan is deep wreck diving. Current plan is to do my GUE Findies in singles (beginnning of March). At the end of June i'm going to Thailand and planning to do the TDI Adv Nitrox/Deco courses which will all be done in doubles with o2 deco etc. I'd like to get as much practice between the end of Fundies, and my Thailand trip diving doubles so I can get used to them. Thus I want to be ordering gear in the next couple of weeks.

I find both of the hog offerings to be inadequate. I have the 58# horseshoe wing. That provides adequate lift for my kit but is suboptimal in its shape (my opinion). The 50# wing has the shape I prefer but has inadequate lift for my application. Chris keeps coming out with new equipment every few months so I have to believe that he'll have more options eventually. I'm making the horseshoe work for now, but I'd prefer the donut.

Hmm. I wonder if I should get the 50# then, and upgrade later if / when carring more stages.

I also notice that DGE is virtually giving awy the current horseshoe wings. Maybe a new one is on the way??

Hi Ozgriffo,

You wont need more than that 50# wing for over here in OZ.

I use a 49# Deep Sea Supply wing with twin 21's, an AL80 and an AL40 and its fine.

The 58# is wider for twin 15's which are not a nice combo anyway with the Faber we can get here.

Just get the 50# and be done with it - you'll be quite surprised what you can float with that.

a 35lb donut doubles wing and a 50lb are both now available, going up on web today

Thanks for all the info everyone. In the end my GUE instructor got back to me and reccomended the 35# Donut for now.

Cheers

Hi Ozgriffo,

You wont need more than that 50# wing for over here in OZ.

I use a 49# Deep Sea Supply wing with twin 21's, an AL80 and an AL40 and its fine.

The 58# is wider for twin 15's which are not a nice combo anyway with the Faber we can get here.

Just get the 50# and be done with it - you'll be quite surprised what you can float with that.

Your point about the fabers we get here interests me.

Is the 32# single wing designed for wider tanks than the Fabers we use down here?

Nope the single will be fine.

Our tanks are quite a bit different than the majority o USA divers tanks - they use all kinds of tanks we cant get like the LP108's etc.

I'm surprised you were advised to get a 35# donut - are you diving wet using twin Ali 80's??

Apart from that I cant think of a reason to get that wing?

Nope the single will be fine.

Our tanks are quite a bit different than the majority o USA divers tanks - they use all kinds of tanks we cant get like the LP108's etc.

I'm surprised you were advised to get a 35# donut - are you diving wet using twin Ali 80's??

Apart from that I cant think of a reason to get that wing?

/me shrugs. I'll be doing ali 80's in Thailand soon, maybe he wanted it for that. Here it's 12L steel I believe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom