Who would your instructor choices be and why?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison for ANYTHING!!

I have taken courses from Uncle Ricky as well as observed him teach and interacted with divers he has certified for years now. The only thing about his teaching is that you better be ready for "Top-Shelf" effort because he will give it to you and expects the same in return. The man has forgotten more about diving than I will probably ever learn.

Oh, I'll bet Rick would be a fantastic instructor -- I certainly love the succinct pragmatism in his posts.

I would also endorse Bob's statements about Joe Talavera. Joe was the teacher we all want, or dream about being. Losing him as a diver was a huge loss to scuba.

It IS somewhat difficult to make blanket recommendations about instruction. I agree, for example, that Steve Lewis does a beautiful job of representing himself as a knowledgeable and thoughtful man, and I'd love to have the opportunity to take a class from him myself. But I've only met him very briefly, and I have no idea what his style of teaching is, or whether it would work for me, or for anybody else. I took my Cave 1 from Danny Riordan. I personally think it was one of the best classes I've taken, but I could see Danny's style not working at all for the wrong person. I know, for example, that my strong suit is NOT working with timid people or people who have trouble paying attention.

At any rate, it's an interesting topic, but I think it's fraught with hazard to recommend instructors you have never met, based on how they write.

SScubaboard is perhaps famous for saying that it's not the agency, it's the instructor that counts. With that in mind, from you folks that have been around a while, do you have any particular people you'd go out of your way to train with, given a reasonable opportunity? Can you say who they would be, what courses, and perhaps why you want to dive/train with them?
For my next tech or rebreather course, it would be Dave T. ("wedivebc" here on SB). Dave lives near Nanaimo, BC. He struck me as an outstanding person in many respects from day one. I had dived with him on a few occasions before I ever took a course from him.

If you're in the Canadian West or US Northwest, include him on your short list of instructors to interview. Fair warning, though: he has ways to stress and test candidates, even before the dives begin, and not everyone who signs up for a course will be allowed to complete it.

-Bryan

At any rate, it's an interesting topic, but I think it's fraught with hazard to recommend instructors you have never met, based on how they write.

I would have to agree with you on this, even though I did mention some on here that I have not used. I would not recommend them to another, just that I think their style would mesh with mine. As with anything, I would research them more and get plenty of references. For a few of the guys I mentioned, I have already done that. That is how I picked Rob for my next class. I know people he has taught and have spoke with them.

There's three reasons why I'd want to travel to dive with specific other instructors:

1) Dive Skills. At my level, this is typically orientated towards tech diving. I'd rather defer training for a year or more, than simply book with the nearest qualified instructor. My first tech instructor was Mark Powell... that kinda set a 'high bar' for subsequent training. Bruce Konefe ran my latest course - teaching technical wreck to a guy (me) who'd be doing technical wreck diving regularly for the last 8 years. The course was invaluable and I learned a lot - which speaks volumes. In my mind, that's the mark of a truly expert instructor - someone who can add value, even when the recipient already has a high level of knowledge and skills specific to the subject. Nowadays, I don't really care about the course - it's the person that I want to dive with... I'd take a technical wreck course again, if that could be a vehicle to get in the water with a different world-class diver in that field.

Sidemount is my most recent baby... and I'm in love with it. Bruce qualified me in that also, and it was very comprehensive. I'd still want to dive with other experts, just to see the different approaches and viewpoints. I love the knowledge and I value all those priceless little 'tidbits' you can get from training with a different person, who really knows their stuff.

Doppler and Dive-aholic are here on the forum - and I'd want to train with them. There's a myriad of other world-class instructors/divers, not on/frequently seen here on Scubaboard, that I'd travel to train/mentor with - Chatterton, Gentile, etc

2) Instructor Skills. Teaching is an art. I want to be the best instructor that I can be. I've done courses with other instructors before, simply to learn more about their teaching methods and approaches. When I initially qualified as a tech instructor, I spent the first few years simply deferring my students to other tech instructors - so that I could assist them and learn myself. I felt that the value I gained from doing that, as a tech diver and instructor, was worth far more than the cash I'd earn from teaching the students myself. It was an excellent foundation - and I'm now confident that I can offer real value in the courses I teach. I won't teach anything nowadays, unless I am confident I can offer exceptional value on the subject (and yes, that means I only use about 25% of the instructor level qualification I possess).

NWGratefulDiver, Jim Lapenta, Rick Murchison, TS&M and Quero would be on this list. Truly excellent instructors that I'd love to see operate.

TS&M and Quero are on the list because they're two of the most empathetic, sensitive and diplomatic instructors I've seen on the forum - and those are qualities that I'd definitely like to develop in my skill-base/approach. A near life-time in the military environment didn't equip me particularly well for sensitivity - although it's something I've been working on for many years. LOL

3) Fun. There's nothing better than getting wet with a like-minded, equally competent, diver. I'd travel...and go to quite some lengths... just to make opportunity to dive with someone who interested me. Whether a course or not, an instructor or not... some people are always enlightening to dive with... and if that challenges existing preconceptions or supplements new perspectives into the whole, then it's a very positive experience.

Thanks for the promotion, Andy! I'm actually only a DM, with dubious prospects for more :)

I think the question should be "Who would you recommend to recommend a good instructor":D

Thanks for the promotion, Andy! I'm actually only a DM, with dubious prospects for more :)

Don't sell yourself short ... you've taught more good diving practices to new divers than several instructors I know ... some who have been teaching for more years than you've been diving.

"Only a DM" is a subjective term ... a good DM is worth a lot more to the dive community than a mediocre instructor ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I’m currently in the midst of interviewing a number of cave instructors that have been recommended to me by local cave divers, divers on forums and other means. I thoroughly enjoyed talking with Jim Wyatt and Rob Neto. I am hoping to meet with a couple more at the Long Beach show next weekend and the remaining during DEMA.
Last weekend I was tec diving in SoCal with a few locals and others from Arizona and SoCal. If I went the CCR route Robin Jacoway would be on my list without a doubt.
I agree with Lynne, how someone writes on a forum, may not be the same person during a phone conversation or in person. A few have been removed from my list for that reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom