Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonR, any possibility of getting a gauge mode in a future firmware update?

Post 824 March 11, 2012

The last conversation I had they were looking at a hard case. I'll try to get an update next week.

Any news?

I just got a Cobalt and hooked it up. The tank pressure reads about 300 psi less than my pressure SPG. My SPG might be a few psi off, but not 300. Any suggestions?

I just got a Cobalt and hooked it up. The tank pressure reads about 300 psi less than my pressure SPG. My SPG might be a few psi off, but not 300. Any suggestions?

Try another SPG to see which one is wrong. If the Cobalt is the one that is wrong, PM RonR here and he'll take care of you!

Also, is your reserve set to 300 by default? Not sure if that's how it works, but may be the issue.

If you can take it to a shop with a calibrated gauge and have them check it, that's what I would recommend. The Cobalts are calibrated at the factory against a variety of pressures, and should be within about 10-15 psi- the limit of the accuracy of the sensor. The gauge on the Cobalt can be easily re-calibrated by the dealer if it needs it- I can provide instructions if necessary. It does require an accurate pressure gauge to calibrate against, though. A typical diving SPG won't have the resolution.

At what pressure is the SPG showing the 300 psi difference? It's fairly common for analog gauges to not be all that linear- i.e. zero might be spot on, but 3000 psi off by 10%.

The safety reserve is just the amount of pressure you want to arrive at the surface with- it will affect your gas time remaining calculations, but the pressure displayed should always be accurate. Changing the safety reserve won't change the pressure display.

Ron

If you can take it to a shop with a calibrated gauge and have them check it, that's what I would recommend. The Cobalts are calibrated at the factory against a variety of pressures, and should be within about 10-15 psi- the limit of the accuracy of the sensor. The gauge on the Cobalt can be easily re-calibrated by the dealer if it needs it- I can provide instructions if necessary. It does require an accurate pressure gauge to calibrate against, though. A typical diving SPG won't have the resolution.

At what pressure is the SPG showing the 300 psi difference? It's fairly common for analog gauges to not be all that linear- i.e. zero might be spot on, but 3000 psi off by 10%.

The safety reserve is just the amount of pressure you want to arrive at the surface with- it will affect your gas time remaining calculations, but the pressure displayed should always be accurate. Changing the safety reserve won't change the pressure display.

Ron

My SPG reads a tad over 3400 psi (which is pretty accurate, I filled the tank myself), the Cobalt is reading 3180, not 300, but 220, still quite a bit off. I bought it from House of Scuba, via Amazon.com so going to the dealer isn't really an option, but I can get access to an accurate pressure gauge.

My SPG reads a tad over 3400 psi (which is pretty accurate, I filled the tank myself), the Cobalt is reading 3180, not 300, but 220, still quite a bit off. I bought it from House of Scuba, via Amazon.com so going to the dealer isn't really an option, but I can get access to an accurate pressure gauge.
If you can get access to an accurate pressure gauge (as a shop might have in their repair department, one that has a big enough dial to resolve 15-20 psi at least) then I would check against a variety of pressures- full tanks, and nearly empty. If the Cobalt is off at any point it can be calibrated against the gauge. Atomic may prefer to do this if there isn't a dealer who can, for liability reasons- I will have to check with them. It would not take much variation on temperature to change a full tank reading by 200 psi.

Ron

Ron, from wha I can see ontis post you seem to be the go to guy for Cobalt software issues. I hope you can help me. I have used the DC for just over a year and have not had any problems until I updated to 1.17. Since then I have not been able to download my dives either to the Cobalt log book or Divelog 5.0. I removed 1.17 and have flashe 1.13 but I can't get it to download anymore. Can you let me know what I need to do? Thanks.

Ron, from wha I can see ontis post you seem to be the go to guy for Cobalt software issues. I hope you can help me. I have used the DC for just over a year and have not had any problems until I updated to 1.17. Since then I have not been able to download my dives either to the Cobalt log book or Divelog 5.0. I removed 1.17 and have flashe 1.13 but I can't get it to download anymore. Can you let me know what I need to do? Thanks.
This is a problem some people had with 1.17, and it relates to the Windows drivers. The new Windows software that Atomic will be posting uses a newer driver. Not being able to download with 1.13 is a little puzzling, unless the driver switching (between the Atomic software and Diving Log 5.0) is not happening correctly.

If you PM me with your email I will send you some software to try, I would be interested to know if it fixes the problem- it has for a few others who have experienced this issue.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom