Central QLD Coast

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maples

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just relocated from WA to Gladstone in QLD, and I'm looking for fellow divers. My investigations so far have found the following;

The dive shop here closed about five years ago, the two that were in Rockhampton have also closed down. The charter boat that was running out of 1770 has been seconded to the LNG plants. There is a cruise boat that does diving as an optional extra at Lady Musgrave but it is hellishly expensive and they only do the same two sites each time as far as I can tell. The diving at Heron island is supposed to be pretty good, but you have to stay in the resort and again its pretty pricey, so not something we'd do on a regular basis. Bundy seems to be about the nearest operational dive shop. There was a listing for a dive club on dive-oz but that looks to be defunct too. The amount of industry in the harbour here means that shore diving is essentially a no-go, apparently it's nice once you get out behind the islands though.

All up it's a pretty sad state of affairs for diving in CQ. So if you are in the area and have some advice or want some new dive buddies (Hubby is a DM, I'm AOW with 100+ dives) please get in touch :blinking:

I am moving to Mackay mid May, will also be looking for dive buddies, clubs, shop etc.
Maybe should invest in own boat?

Mmmm we were thinking the same, unfortunately we need to buy a house first. Working on making friends with people who already have a boat :p

No buy a boat first, I'll be your friend! :wink:

Hehehe I wish. Can't even fit all our cars in the place we're in, letalone a boat too!

---------- Post added May 2nd, 2012 at 02:43 PM ----------

But at least I have found a local place that does fills, small mercy :) And rumour has it that Mantaray Dive in Rockhampton are going to reopen in the summer? One can hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom