Just bought a Panasonic DMC-ZS8, looking for a strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Javachip

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Greetings, I'm a newbie to digital photography but not to diving or u/w film photography. I just bought a Panasonic Lumix ZS-8 camera with the manufacturer's DMW-MCTZ20 housing. Does anyone have experience with this model? I'm considering getting a Fantasea Nano strobe and would welcome any comments. I started a similar thread in the "Introduction" and "Light/Strobe" forums -- I hope that isn't breaking etiquette. :)

Greetings, I'm a newbie to digital photography but not to diving or u/w film photography. I just bought a Panasonic Lumix ZS-8 camera with the manufacturer's DMW-MCTZ20 housing. Does anyone have experience with this model? I'm considering getting a Fantasea Nano strobe and would welcome any comments. I started a similar thread in the "Introduction" and "Light/Strobe" forums -- I hope that isn't breaking etiquette. :)

I have ZS6 and I am using Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe. I love this strobe. It is a TTL strobe that makes it very easy for a newbie (fire-n-forget). I have used this for over 30 dives now and the pictures are really good.

Since this is a long term investment, my advice is to not skimp on it and get a strobe that will last you. The Fantasea is a good entry level strobe but it doesn't have TTL and it is not as powerful. You will outgrow it in no time. YS-01 allows you manual/auto and TTL modes and has good power.

I bought mine from Diver Vision.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up buying an Intova ISS 2000 non-TTL. For $110 brand new, including arm, tray, and shipping, I figured what the heck. Do you use the built-in flash on your ZS-6 to light the subject, or only to trigger the S&S?

Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up buying an Intova ISS 2000 non-TTL. For $110 brand new, including arm, tray, and shipping, I figured what the heck. Do you use the built-in flash on your ZS-6 to light the subject, or only to trigger the S&S?

Before I bought YS-01, I had bought the same ISS 2000 strobe. It was very disappointed with it. The main problem was that the fiber optic connection was very weak. I even designed my own connector but nothing really worked well. As a result the strobe would not fire half the time and I lost many potentially good pictures. Also, the recycles times were bad (over 5-8 seconds per flash).

So finally I bit the bullet and went for YS-01. It is a bit more expensive but it just works great. Fires everytime and with TTL the pictures are exposed just right.

I hope you have better luck with your strobe than I had with mine.

As to your question, I only use the strobe to light the subject. The zs-6's built in flash is only used to trigger the strobe and not to light the subject. You will get too much back-scatter if you use internal strobe also.

Back
Top Bottom