Cozumel vs Puerto Galera in July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eellenoff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey all, don't know if this is the right forum, but can I get your thoughts on how the diving in Cozumel compares to that of Puerto Galera in the Philippines? I'm trying to plan a trip this summer, and wondering how the quality and diversity of diving compares. Airfare aside prices don't seem that different, so I'm wondering if the extra money and travel time to Puerto Galera is worth it.

Thanks!
-Eric

My wife and I go to Cozumel a couple times each years (one of the few perks about being in Houston, Tx). We are planning a trip to Puerto Galera this fall and would have been much sooner the the air far wasn't multiple times more expensive. I would love to see some responses to this post to hear more about the place.

Let's see. Cozumel airfare from Ca about 500+/-, to the PI 1100+/-.
Getting from COZ airport to your hotel, quick and simple, maybe $8-15 via the shuttle.
In Manila transporatation can be a problem. You could have someone from the resort in PG pick you up, maybe run about $90.
Don't forget it is a 17 hour flight + 1 day. From Manila to Batangas ferry is maybe 2 or so hours depending on traffic.
There are several ferries that run during the day and prices are pretty good about $12. Crossing to Mindoro is about 90 minutes, depending on where your destination is. Most divers are headed to Sabang/small lalaguna/ or big laguna.
Lodging runs the gamat in pricing from $15 night to well over $100 night. I ususally pay around $38/night. That gets me AC/kitchen/hot water/ full ocean view/clean & safe. Not 5*, but very friendly.
Food is much cheaper in the PI, but the quality is not as good as COZ or as diverse. I drink a lot of beer and in the PI it is cheap, although you are pretty much limited to San Migeal or Red Horse. Red horse is quite strong, I like the original San Mig and not the light. It can go for about .50 at the stores and the bars it is about $1 or so.
Diving, hmmmm. Well if you are going in the summer, it will be hot and humid in the PI. Lots of mosquitos so repellent is a must.
The water temp is a bit cooler in the PI compared to COZ. 79-82 in the PI, COZ in the summer 80+.
VIS. I have found that the VIS in COZ is much better.
Things to see. In COZ there are big walls and big stuff to see. In the PI it seems every square inch is covered with corals, lots and lots. But mostly smaller fish.
I love both places and each has there own things to see.
Equipment rentals. The PI has good stuff. Before I bought my gear I rented in the PI and the gear was either new or when used was in good condition.
Rentals prices were cheap, I am able to get DIN in PG. Most tanks are AL80 filled at 2800-3000psi.
Dive times are 60 minutes for the most part depending on your air use.
Boat can be simple outrigger style to speed boat, but most do not have heads/ shade or provide any water or food. Bring your own.
SI is usually back at the dive shop as the dive sites in PG are all within 10-15 minutes. Some like the wreck alma jane are 3 minutes out.
Most dives shops are pretty good. There are the big popular ones like Asia divers/El galleon and Atlantis to the smaller shops like apple, action, or my favorite Searider.
For example the shop I use Mark at Searider goes out even if you are the only divers and max on his boat is 4 divers. He will pick you up and take you back to the ferry, even find accomadations for you if you give him you preferences, he can find it.
Dive prices are cheaper in the PI, ranging from $20 dive up to may $35 dive.
Which place is better. I can't say. Both offer a different type of diving and topside attractions.
Sorry about rambling on.

Really, it's two totally different dive experiences. The Caribbean is limited on biodiversity compared to the Indo Pacific. To me, the diving side of Cozumel is about the structure of the underwater terrain, huge coral heads, swim throughs, etc. and the fish. We have been to Cozumel more than 20 times over the years and have seen it grow from a small sleepy community to a place with lots of wonderful places to stay and dine. We consider a trip to Cozumel as a vacation with diving rather than a diving vacation.

Puerto Galera is totally different plus airfares off the west coast can be competitive. First, it will take some time to get their once you land in Manila, traffic is a problem, I'd plan on three hours plus another 45 on the boat to Puerto Galera . You really can't compare the diving between the two locations. Puerto Galera, because of the biodiversity is macro focused. Dive sites are very close to the resorts, 2 to 10 minutes in most cases, so you return to the resorts after each dive. Most sites do not have the structure that you find in Cozumel, they could be truly muck sites or sloping sites with tons of crinoids. I found Puerto Galera to be nudibranch city, I've never seen as many types of nudi's. I'm into photography so I had a great time there, many great photo op's. One thing you need to be aware of about Puerto Galera is it does have areas with the seedier areas of life so be prepared for this. If you go, be sure to take a trip to Verde Island, don't miss it. Be sure to check if July is a good time to go the Philippines, not sure how the weather is during July.

Pictures of both can be found here: Flickr: woodiver15's Photostream

Really, it's two totally different dive experiences.

Couldn't have said it better myself. My wife and I love love loved both Coz and PG. If you are simply looking for something new, I have to recommend PG. The bio-diversity in PG is unreal - we saw fish/nudis/inverts that were new to us on every dive of a 10 day, 3 dive/day trip. Coz has the upper hand terrain, but if you are into critters and macro I would go with PG.

In the interest of full disclosure - it will be hot in PG and the trip from Manilla to PG is a bit of an adventure. If you are the type of traveler that can go with the flow, you will be fine.

WE have a good customer of Aldora who was severely injured in PG and almost last his foot in an accident that should never have happened. He tells me that PG should never be visited and is unsafe. Plus the hotel gave no refund for unused days while he was in the hospital. That is just what I was told.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Eellenoff, I've been to PG twice so far. I don't think you can really compare Coz with PG. They are very different, the only similar feature is the water. PG is adventure and the Phillipinos are a warm and caring people. I've never had a bad experience with anyone in the Phillipines. The accomodations are ranging in price and you can find a nice place on the beach for not much money. Example, My first trip to PG stayed at El Galleon and dove with Asia divers. After a week of diving upon paying my bill I had to ask for a retabulation. "Are you sure everything I bought is in there", "yes, its all here". And to boot they accepted a check from my stateside checking account??? They trusted me. Go to PG and live the adventure. You will have a blast. If I can give you any more tips just ask.

Good dives, SeaFlea

I think the Philippines wins hands down for diving. But I prefer Cozumel topside. July is typhoon season in the Philippines, so that's something to consider as well. All else being equal (meaning if I didn't have to worry about costs, travel time, etc.), I'd probably pick Coz in the summer, but PG in the winter.

I don't think the 2 are comparable being so 2 vastly different dive destinations.......compare PG to other pacific dive destinations and Cozumel to other regional caribean destinations...

Others have covered the diving side of this equation pretty well. Not much to add.

But there is another element that can be a put off to some people taken by surprise by their first trip to PG. Trying to put this delicately but not really sure how so.....the sex trade is abundant and very obvious there which can be a turnoff to some, or perhaps an enticement to others. I make no judgements. Just be aware as it is quite obvious.

Back
Top Bottom