cyklon 300 nitrox compatible?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yaml

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
have a cyklon 300 purchased in 1975; excellent condition and recently overhauled; want to use it again; question: is it nitrox compatible? or should i have it "made ready" for nitrox as a precaution?
thanks

*Every* regulator is Nitrox compatible up to 40%. All the O2 clean voodoo only applies above that . . . .

- Tim

The Cyklon 300 is not certified or approved for use with any gas that has more then 1% oxygen.

It is our recommendation that you get a regulator certified, approved and cleaned for oxygen if you intend to start diving with Nitrox.

Jörgen Nilsson
Quality Manager
Poseidon Diving Systems

The Cyklon 300 is not certified or approved for use with any gas that has more then 1% oxygen.

It is our recommendation that you get a regulator certified, approved and cleaned for oxygen if you intend to start diving with Nitrox.

Jörgen Nilsson
Quality Manager
Poseidon Diving Systems
Jörgen,

Rather than just providing a "recommendation," would it be possible for you to tell us the rationale for the recommendation?

Thanks,

Thal

Jörgen Nilsson
Quality Manager
Poseidon Diving Systems

That's a bit rough, eh? Personally, I have one. The 1st stage is used for dry suit inflation. The Cyklon 2nd I use for anything I dive including O2. In its day it was a great combo. It predates balanced 1st stages with a compensated 1st stage. (The IP increased at low supply pressure) When a cylinder ran low, rather than sucking though a straw, it became easier to breath.

Ditch the 1st stage but keep the 2nd.

Dale

I certainly home you meant 21%, since it would be pretty hard to stay alive on 1% :) :)

- Tim

@Thal:
Dear Sir
The recommendation is based on the fact that the regulator isn't o2 clean as we use a silicone based lubricant in it and we use regular nitril o-rings.
And since the regulator isn't certified for any gas with a higher content then 21% oxygen, we can not recomend that it's used with nitrox.

@Tim
Yes, it is 21%. Sorry for the typo.

We are not the dive police, so we can not prevent anyone from diving our equipment with gases it isn't certified for, we can only issue recommendations based on what the equipment is configured, tested and certified for.

With all due respect you have not answered my question. Why do you insist that a regulator be oxygen clean to be used with nitrox below 40%?

Dear Sir.

It is our policy to treat any equipment used with breathing gas with a content higher then 21% as if they were used with 100% oxygen.
We have found this to be the best practice for our products when it comes to safety, using enriched gas.

With all due respect you have not answered my question. Why do you insist that a regulator be oxygen clean to be used with nitrox below 40%?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom