HOG Reg Buoyancy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sam_The_Submersible

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, this is my first ever post on this site!

I'm looking at purchasing my first set of regs and had a couple of questions someone out there maybe can answer for me.

The dive school hire regs I have been using have a degree of buoyancy when breathing that gives me jaw fatigue after about 40 min. The hog regs look about the same size and similar materials, I was wondering if anyone has noticed anything untoward comfort wise?

The feeling of the reg being floaty may just be the LP hose pulling /pushing the reg in your mouth. You can try adjusting the reg on the hose so it has the least amount of pressure on your jaw. all so you may be just biting down on the mouth piece a little to much . Just relax your jaw you do not need a lot of pressure to hold it in place .When I started I had really bad jaw fatigue but as I got more comfortable I started to relax my jaw (bite ) and my jaw loved me . When I dive in water w/ temps in the low 40's I still get a little jaw fatigue from tensing up my face muscles,from the COLD water on the unprotected shin of my face

Have to agree that jaw fatigue is caused by chomping down on the mouthpiece harder than necessary.
........to answer your Q the Hog 2nd is heavier than most similar regs.

Been diving them for three years and never had that problem. I will say that I was pleasantly surprised to discover how comfortable the mouthpieces are. I was a comfo bite user for years until the HOG regs came out. Now I'm switching all my regs. The other thing you can do with most any reg that is feeling floaty is with the reg in your mouth, grasp the hose with the right hand and rotate it towards you an 1/8 to a 1/4 turn. This will allow the reg to rest lightly on your chin. How much you turn may vary from reg to reg but it doesn't take much to relieve the strain.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

the reg isn't floaty but also is much negative

If the 'dive school' reg's use standard [rubber] Lp hoses and standard mouth pieces, that can add to jaw fatique.....What ever reg. you decide on get the Miflex lp hoses [the hp hoses are the ones w/the problems] and one of the more custom mouth pieces...There's a wide variety of mouth pieces and getting one that fits makes a big difference.....

I find the opposite of what Jim reports, I hate the HOG mouth pieces. But, I hate the Scubapro, Aqualung, and other brands just as much. All I like to dive with are the "long bite" style that aren't custom, but do extend to the middle or back teeth.

I don't notice a difference between the variety of 2nd stages I use, and don't get jaw fatigue even after 5+ hour dives. I don't need a miflex hose, but I don't think it could hurt.

I find the key is what others have mentioned: don't bite down hard, and make sure the hose isn't pulling. Also, I do remember jaw fatigue when I was new to diving. I think the more time you spend underwater, the more you get used to not needing to chomp down, and you have less jaw fatigue.

I also hear very positive things about the custom mouthpieces from SeaCure, and would not hesitate to use them except I subscribe to the donate-your-primary theory, and can't talk myself into using a custom mouthpiece. Maybe someday, who knows? In the mean time, I'm jealous of people who do get to experience that level of comfort.

is NOT much negative I meant to type... LOL

the reg isn't floaty but also is much negative

---------- Post added May 9th, 2012 at 09:19 PM ----------

Mouthpieces are a subjective thing. I love the USD comfo bite type and would dive nothing else (they are/were patented and the mold would cost a fortune...so...) for the longest time wouldn't dive anything else. The Sea Cure are universally loved by those that have them and I can recommend them.

Others love my HOG mouthpiece. Not so may HATE them but hey...it happens.

I find the opposite of what Jim reports, I hate the HOG mouth pieces. But, I hate the Scubapro, Aqualung, and other brands just as much. All I like to dive with are the "long bite" style that aren't custom, but do extend to the middle or back teeth.

I don't notice a difference between the variety of 2nd stages I use, and don't get jaw fatigue even after 5+ hour dives. I don't need a miflex hose, but I don't think it could hurt.

I find the key is what others have mentioned: don't bite down hard, and make sure the hose isn't pulling. Also, I do remember jaw fatigue when I was new to diving. I think the more time you spend underwater, the more you get used to not needing to chomp down, and you have less jaw fatigue.

I also hear very positive things about the custom mouthpieces from SeaCure, and would not hesitate to use them except I subscribe to the donate-your-primary theory, and can't talk myself into using a custom mouthpiece. Maybe someday, who knows? In the mean time, I'm jealous of people who do get to experience that level of comfort.

Back
Top Bottom