Thinking of going Commercial

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

j_budz

Registered
Reaction score
I know there must be tons of these posts, but have a few q's for the divers in the industry. I have been diving for about 5 years now, and have been considering being a working diver for a while now. The only thing keeping me back is the job market. I already love diving, and Im thinking going commercial is the only realistic way to make a living doing diving as a career. I am currently a welder (with schooling and tickets) and have been working at that for about 2 years now. The only thing about that is that I want a career where Im doing a different job atleast every couple months, cant stand doing the same thing over and over every year, and Im definately willing to travel the world. Here's the thing, what I've been reading online is that there is job shortages for divers, and dont want to jump into a career where I wont find any work. On the other hand, Ive talked to a local owner of a commerical diving business, and was told by them that there is lots of work available if you're willing to travel. So what's the actual situation with finding jobs?

Thanks!

Well I guess it is like any industry. When you first become a Commercial Diver you are going to be the new kid on the block and there simply isn't going to be a bunch of open doors for you. The good jobs are all taken by experienced divers and their mates. When they are looking for another diver they give another mate a call, rather than taking a chance on someone new.
There are plenty of jobs though and you shouldn't have too much trouble picking up some sort of work. It won't be anything flash though. They will be the sort of jobs that just make you wonder what the hell you were thinking when you forked out all that cash for dive school. Every now and again though a great job comes along with nice diving conditions and good money. This type of job never lasts though. The longer you stick at it and the more contacts you make, the easier it is to get onto a decent job next time.
Before you take a job with some company, talk to some other people who have worked for them. There are plenty of dodgy operators out there who don't care about your safety, all they care about is how much they can make. Never be afraid to walk off a job if it is unsafe! There will always be another job. I've turned up to some jobs, been asked to do something really stupid and walked right back out, telling them where they can stick their job.
The best thing you have going for you is being a ticketed welder. As soon as you can after dive school, go do your underwater welding ticket. It will make you infinitely more employable. There are a heap of divers out there and you need to set yourself apart.
If you choose to do it, remember that there is a huge percentage of commercial divers that quite the industry within 12 months. It can be a tough industry to work in. And again, always look out for your own safety. You can assume that no one else is. I personally know plenty of guys who have had bad stuff happen. Sucked into dam intakes, poisoned from bad air, body parts crushed from lifting, electrocution, etc.

As Aussie pro says : there are a million ways to kill yourself as a diver. Where are you located ? The US is a tough, small market. The rest of the world will not hire US divers in a hurry for liability reasons.

Your welding ticket is your best asset.

Thanks for the info, yes I figure its just like any other job, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. I am in Canada, and I believe the diving certs issued here are more recognized worldwide, atleast within the commonwealth. As far as I know, you get certified for wet welding as part of the commercial courses here aswell, I just think having previous experience may make it easier.

I wish you luck man, live your dreams

But I also say be careful of doing what you love as a job, it tends to turn love into resentment after a while

I can't comment on the Canadian course or wheter it certifies you for wet welding also. I would probably consider doing a Hydroweld course though, I imagine it is held in much higher regard than a freebie with your dive course.
I didn't mean to try to put you off with my post but there are a lot of young guys who think it will be great to be a commercial diver, bit of a rockstar job. This isn't helped by the dive certification companies who will tell you there are hundreds of jobs going that pay thousands a day etc. As long as you have realistic expectations, it can be fun. Just remember that you could be doing something really cool one day like brocco cutting pipes in warm, tropical water with 20+m visibility and sea life all around you. The next day you could be wading through a sewage tank, looking for a leak in zero visibility. Not that you would want to have visiblity because all you would see are other peoples turds floating around you. Hahaha.

First, contact DCBC on this bulitin board and he will line you out on which school to go to up there in the Great White North. Second, research the big boys in the industry as far as commercial diving companies go, like Stolt Comex Seaway, Oceaneering International, etc. that do the work outside the U.S. Your best bet is to find out where they are working and go there. Probably the work is in the Persian Gulf and off Tiland.

You will probably find that you will be moving from project to project like your looking for. Most diving jobs are typically a small portion of a larger project, and the last thing a project manager wants is a bunch of expensive divers hanging around on the job and not doing anything (with the exception of the ways things work on the east coast of the U.S. with all the union outfits). Most of the time you'll bounce a flange connection or do a quick patch of an oil rig cross brace and be off to the next job. The longest job you will probably ever do is a trash pickup after removing an oil rig. I'm not even sure if oil companies even do that outside of U.S. controlled waters.

Anyway, good luck. The fact that your a welder puts you ahead of the game.

Thanks for the info, yes I figure its just like any other job, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up. I am in Canada, and I believe the diving certs issued here are more recognized worldwide, atleast within the commonwealth. As far as I know, you get certified for wet welding as part of the commercial courses here aswell, I just think having previous experience may make it easier.

Look into Canadian Working Divers Institute. You are looking at $23,000 for the three month course. If you pass, you will receive an Unrestricted Surface-Supplied Diver Certification, from the Divers Certifcation Board of Canada.

My son is a graduate.

I second the fact that doing what you love for a living is a demon. I used to be a helicopter pilot..BUT that being said..Go to school, graduate, get on with a company that will pay for you get be underwater welding certifed. That is something that cannot be taught in dive school and is not cheap. Welding you will recieve at school is taught in the manner of make metal join without it failing. That is a far cry from precision welding which is often done in a dry environment underwater. And not to knock your ability, but i went to school with 3 certified welders. The welds they did looked just the same as the person who never welded until they got to school, its a very different game subsea. The schools words were, " your not here to become a certified welder, this course is so you can join metal and not kill yourself"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom