List of what lenses work with which ports on oly housing.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The precision port is from Blue Water Photo (in California) and was $499. There is a good review for it at Panasonic 8mm fisheye & Precision Dome port |Underwater Photography Guide
The only issue is they had to do a slight modification to my port for it to work so I had to lose my "somewhat useless" focus lights on the front of the PT-EP05L port. I use a focus light in the hot shoe so it wasn't an issue. I love the fisheye!!!

Yep that's the one. I should have some test shots with the 12mm soon Bruce.

Thanks Cali and Phil,
Have either of you had a chance to try/use your standard zooms in the Precision dome and if so, are the results useable?
Having to 'only' focus on the virtual image of the dome, I'm thinking that the standard zoom can focus plenty close enough but as to whether its nodal point suits the dome is an entirely new question?
Phil are you down south or up north? I'm thinking that wide angle is pretty hard to be fond of in Vic's turbulent waters?
Bruce

Bruce, I have tried a few topside shots with my standard zooms & I have been surprised at how well this dome works with them. I am very anxious to get it wet. I wasn't able to take it on yesterday's dive at Rye which was frustrating (was instructing therefore no camera).

I am in the deep south (= inner Melbourne), but we get some good clear days regardless. Have a look at this water: Safety stop - Castle Rock | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

---------- Post added May 6th, 2012 at 05:48 PM ----------

OK I took the Precision dome + 12mm prime lens on a night dive yesterday. I wasn't happy with most of my strobe shots but at least I ascertained that the combo works well underwater. Here's a sample shot taken in ambient light (+ dive torch, so I guess it's semi-ambient): Ecklonia - Jawbone | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

This dome is specificially designed for the fisheye but it appears to offer lots of flexibility. It is also beautifully compact. The only (non)-issue as Cali mentions is that you have to cut off the shroud for the focus light button on the housing in order to fit it. I say it is a non-issue because the focus lights are useless anyway.

Phil

I have the E-PL3 with the PT-EP05L housing. My personal understanding of supported ports/lens combos is below:

1) Precision 8mm acrylic dome supports:
- Panasonic 8mm fisheye (it was designed for this lens)
- Samyang 7.5mm fisheye (with some minor vignetting from the dome shade; note this is also a manual lens)
- Olympus 12mm prime lens
- Olympus 9-18mm zoom
- Olympus 14-42mm zoom.

2) Zen WA-100-EP glass port supports:
- Olympus 9-18mm zoom
- Olympus 14-42mm zoom.

This list is not exclusive, and I am sure some longer FL lenses will work behind these ports as well, e.g. I suspect the Olympus 45mm prime would work. I just don't have them to play with. Also for macro: the stock flat glass port allows for 67mm macro wet lenses to be fitted.

Any additions or corrections?

Phil

The Zen dome port works just fine with the 14-42 and the Oly adapter and 67MM macro lens, even with two stacked macro lens. You just have to put a little strip os the "fuzzy" side of velcro on the top and bottom of the lens shade on the Zen dome because it is a little smaller diameter than the stock Oly port.

I think that this thread would be a LOT more informative if the posters were to include the lenses/port combos that definately don't work together( and bulls@#t stories told by supposedly reputable sales reps) so that other shooters don't get caught in the same expensive trap???
Bruce

Great idea Bruce - that would be me! I really like the Olympus 12mm prime lens & I was told this would work behind the glass Zen dome. But it doesn't. Not even close. Don't get me wrong: the Zen dome is a great product, just for the zooms not the primes. So if anyone wants one, mine is for sale!

PhilW,
are you sure the oly 14-42 & 9-18 work behind that precision port?
Just from looking at the photos of that port, it almost doesn't look long enough to hold those lens when they are in their extended positions.

To add to the discussion, I have the Zen port for the 9-18.
I have tried the oly 45mm behind the Zen and it seems to work above water.
I plan on trying it underwater in the next month or so.
I know it's not a macro lens, but it's so sharp and I've been disappointed with the 14-42 at the long end.

Back
Top Bottom