Do you carry any safety equipment??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

talking about SMB, what size do you guys carry?
Since mine has always been used for launching from depth to alert boats of our presence, it needs to inflate with one to one and a half breaths. Therefore I use a Halcyon 3.3' for myself, and just got my partner a 4.5' HOG, so it will fit in her pocket.

The BIG SMB's have their place and I do have a DAN 6' one, but find it is best used at the surface (Rarely do I carry it). The smaller SMB's tend to stand up better while you remain underwater. Since they are generally inflated more, that also helps them stand up straighter. The smaller SMB's launch better from a shallower depth like above 25', where a half breath, then a full breath will stand them up at the surface. Since you exhale into it, you also stay neutral until it is launched to the surface.

Having a SMB that can be inflated by mouth is nice so again you offset the buoyancy of the SMB by emptying your lungs. Using the SMB's like the DAN unit means you are typically using your octo/reg underneath it to inflate thru a duck bill. It works, but can also vent some at the surface, or at least mine does. Some SMB's can use a LP connector to inflate them, but once full you better hope is slides off the end of the SMB your it will take you right to the surface with it. Now we are back to filling with your mouth for safety...

Trauma shears, whistle, light, surface marker. Off shore I add a dive alert (that air horn thing that is on the BC inflator hose), signal mirror

And what about training? My OW was with PADI, and zero on safety equipment. Advanced with SSI, and also zero. Instructor shot a buoy when we did deep dives. That was it.

Diving in remote areas, with a rugged coastline, I carry...

1: Nautilus Lifeline, left pocket. (Thank you Rescue 21, hope I never need you)
2: Dive Alert, left pocket (Nothing louder out there)
3: Storm Whistle, left pocket (Works without a tank or air in tank)
4: Signal Mirror, left pocket (Best daytime signaling device, and what was seen to save the folks in Cozumel when the boat sank)
5: DSMB with spool, left pocket (Everyone needs to carry an SMB in open water)
6: Cut off steak knife mounted to front of harness (Whacks through rope like cutting butter)
7: Shears, right pocket (My goto cutting device, and they will cut through wire leader)
8: The future holds a PLB aka P-EPIRB

Take me out of the ocean and all I carry are cutting devices, and maybe a lift bag if on a recovery mission.

why do you carry your dive alert in your pocket? doesn't it connect in line with your bc?

Any thoughts on a yard or two of yellow ripstop nylon and a few balloons to keep it afloat instead of a dye marker? And could you use the same thing to protect a bit from the beating sun?

why do you carry your dive alert in your pocket? doesn't it connect in line with your bc?

The Dive Alert is only needed if things go wrong, which I never hope to have happen. Therefore, I feel being in my pocket ready to connect in a situation is good enough. Personally I would look at it installed on the BC as, an annoyance, a failure point, and possibly a hazard. In my pocket it is safe, and ready to deploy with a bolt snap tied on with cave line.

On every dive,
Dsmb
Finger reel
mirror
whistle
dive tool(knife)
Strobe
backup light

Back
Top Bottom