Buying a Water Proof Camera for Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WhiteRhino

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are many waterproof cameras good for up (down?) to 33 feet without a casing such as the Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 and even a few rated as OK down to 40 feet. I know that the photos will be only so so but would like to know if any one here using these instamatics without casings for scuba, particularly your experience in going deeper than the stated ratings. I have heard that they are not supposed to leak but simply stop working but would like to hear first person accounts. The camera is only $160 total whereas a Sea Life with all the trimmings is obviously much more.

i used the wife's pansonic TS3 down to 20ft (rated to 40ft) and it takes very good pics. i don't dive with it but have read about a few people doing so.

The new camera are rater for 40ft, but they do not like to be down that deep for long. If you plan on diving a camera. Get a housing and camera instead. I know someone that flooded a ts on a 30min dive.

1) stay away from the Olympus tough series imho. Slow and inaccurate focus, so-so picture quality.

2) I routinely take my Panasonic TS3, rated to 12m, to 15m, for 75+ minute dives. So far it's just dandy. I have had the problem where I have not been able to do anything but turn it on and off a couple of times (oddly both times at 14.7m, but it's also worked fine at 15m LOL). Going up a couple of meters allows it to resume normal function. I adore this camera and recommend it IF you are diving in the recommended depths.

re the flooding on the TS series - the only flooding I have personally witnessed or heard of from first hand source that wasn't due to not locking the door properly or having crud on the seal was with the TS2, NOT the 3, on a relatively short (45 min) 10m dive. From what I can tell, the TS3 is a huge step up in reliability in-water. Don't know much about the TS4 except that I personally wouldn't pay the premium over the TS3 :)

Adding a housing is only a couple hundred more and that will allow you to take it to 40m.

Another inexpensive option is to check out the Canon SD series (fabulous little cameras!) and add a Canon housing. Canon housings are around $170ish and some of these cameras can be found for about $130ish.

alcina,
Thanks for the response.
I just got a TS4 for a trip I'm taking to Tahiti. (Got it for a good price.)
I'll be on 2 dives, one at 25 ft. (7.6m) and another to 40 ft. (12.2m).
I've seen other videos of the locations we're diving and I'm hoping I won't have any issues. I don't want to lose any memories.
I'll make sure the door is clean and has no issues before leaving for the boat.
Other than that, I'll hope nothing happens. I've heard other stories where TS cameras leaked.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom